my 04 is slow

12 replies to this topic
  • justbelowme

Posted April 13, 2004 - 05:57 AM

hey I think my new 04 is alot slower then my 03 was, anyone else think so, or do I have a lemon, I really miss the hit. I've had it for a couple weeks now, I've ridden it alot, about fifteen hours according to my hourmeter, I just think it's alot slower, I got all the same set-ups as my old one, let me know what you guy's think.

• RM250BS

Posted April 13, 2004 - 07:08 AM

Mags say that it is a little tamer than the 03 and that the 03 has a tad more power, so that ,most likely, means the 04 is slower than the 03, but it should be unnoticeable to the avg rider.
My .02

• Doug_Caldwell

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:19 AM

I have both an '03 and an '04. I still like the '03 better. I don't think that either bike is faster or better than the other. Yamaha changed the ignition maping on the '04 and I am not sold on the change yet. The suspension is way better and so is the clutch on the '04. The '04 power comes on slower but pulls harder and longer than the '03. That is my two cents.

• Ga426owner

Posted April 13, 2004 - 11:45 AM

I have both an '03 and an '04. I still like the '03 better. I don't think that either bike is faster or better than the other. Yamaha changed the ignition maping on the '04 and I am not sold on the change yet. The suspension is way better and so is the clutch on the '04. The '04 power comes on slower but pulls harder and longer than the '03. That is my two cents.

that is why I did not jump on the 04. Although I wish I had 04 forks! I am waiting to see what the 05 has to offer or jump to another color altogether.

• Myzsgonnahurtme

Posted April 13, 2004 - 07:18 PM

Good god man,I'd love to see someone use all the power this bike makes!! I can hardly keep the front wheel down.

• fog527

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:32 PM

You "think" it's slower? Did you do lap times and compare?
Sorry I'm not trying to be a wise guy here,but I remember the look on my buddy's face when we compared back to back lap times when he rode my bike after pounding laps on his 2- smoke.He was positive he was faster on his 250.. :)..nope almost one sec. / lap slower on his bike set up for him!!!Things sometimes always aren't what they seem

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamahopper

Posted April 14, 2004 - 05:37 AM

Ever had your buddy and you drag race your two bikes to see which one is faster? I'm not talking which one is faster around a track, I'm talking a good old fashion drag race. :D

Then, switch bikes and make sure it's not just the rider. Then, if you guys can't agree on which bike is faster, you'll have to settle the argument with a game of chicken :D :)

• XXX_Thumper

Posted April 14, 2004 - 03:20 PM

cluck, cluck................. :)

• revolucien

Posted April 14, 2004 - 04:57 PM

my new 04 is alot slower then my 03 was,

wow i'm bummed to hear that... i jumped from the '02 426 to the '04 450 and have been nothing but, impressed. i've let some of my friends test it at the track and i get the same response... riding my bike is like cheating... incredibly easy to ride and all the power you need right at a throttle twist. maybe you just got a bad one or needs to be tuned.

• 150mx

Posted April 14, 2004 - 06:42 PM

my friend had that problem and he put in a new clutch, it was back to the hard hit again, so your clutch could be smoked :)

• aford541

Posted April 14, 2004 - 07:37 PM

All I know is that I had an 03 sold it and rode a buddies modified 03 bought an 04 and fell in love all over again.
The 04 fork makes up for an awful lot and the motor seems broader, Ill keep the 04 thanks.

• justbelowme

Posted April 15, 2004 - 06:02 AM

O.K. let me explain something, the bikes not slow, it's just slower then last years, it may just be smoother, I ride mx, and I don't care what the top speed is, I'm not drag racing on the salt flats, I want the hit back, my clutch is fine, the bike just doesn't hit as hard, also my lap times are the same, which sucks, cause that means I'm not getting any faster, where I really notice the lack of power is when you make a small mistake, and you need to make it back up, or out of corners entering a jump section, don't get me wrong, this bike rocks, the whole reason I bought this bike is for dependability, I kept breaking my two stroke, so I went to four stroke, I had 223 hours on my 03 and never took one bolt out of the motor, you can't beat that, but these bikes have a few small problem, like... clutch pull is too hard, gearing is really wacked, 2nd is to low 3rd is to high, (for me anyway) chain slider can wear a hole in your swingarm no matter what you do, airbox is too small, front brake sucks, now on the flip side, the suspension is race ready just bone stock, and you can't beat reliability, take that for what its worth, but I miss my 03.

• TonyDeCoster

Posted April 15, 2004 - 06:29 AM

The only change to the engine was the CDI box from 03 to 04. Maybe that will get you the hit you're looking for...or maybe a TT'r wants to trade their 03 box for an 04?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.