Is there an "Aftermarket" Keyed Ignition for the 2004 WR450

13 replies to this topic
  • Z06

Posted April 13, 2004 - 04:46 AM

I'm picking up 2004 WR450 and I noticed it doesn't have a Keyed Ignition like the DRZ models.

My dealer has NO clue about getting a keyed ignition.

I plan on getting my WR street legal and I definately want a key. I've heard too many stories of bikes getting ripped off.

Any other way of protecting your bike?

Thanks

Mac

• djv5

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:11 AM

ZO6-So you finally decided to go for the Yamaha.
I like to use a disc lock. It goes on your front disk rotor and you lock it with a key. Only about $20 or so.

I also doubt there are few people out there who can get these bikes started and ride off. I rarely lock mine up, and never venture too far off from the bike. Locks keep the honest people from stealing your stuff. If theives want you bike, they will by-pass the ignition or remove your wheel if they really want it. I run full coverage insurance and it only costs about $350 per year. It is covered if stolen, I have a $250 deductible.

I expect to see you riding down Lakeshore soon.

• ddialogue

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:46 AM

I haven't found a really good solution yet but I have been looking at the key setup for the TT-R125 e-start model. It has a keyed ignition that when in the on position, the key can't pull out. The key also has a cover to keep moisture out. $55 at the local dealer for a new one with two keys. I'm not sure how it would wire up, but I'm sure you could make it work. I might try that project next month. :)

• Z06

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:19 AM

ZO6-So you finally decided to go for the Yamaha.
I like to use a disc lock. It goes on your front disk rotor and you lock it with a key. Only about $20 or so.

I also doubt there are few people out there who can get these bikes started and ride off. I rarely lock mine up, and never venture too far off from the bike. Locks keep the honest people from stealing your stuff. If theives want you bike, they will by-pass the ignition or remove your wheel if they really want it. I run full coverage insurance and it only costs about $350 per year. It is covered if stolen, I have a $250 deductible.

I expect to see you riding down Lakeshore soon.

I guess the surprise is over. :D

You'll know I have it when your neighbors complain about the guy riding Wheelies in front of your house. :D :D :D

They will all think it is you. :)

Mac

• Bamster

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:24 AM

Go to any bike boneyard and get an ignition key switch from a street bike.Mount it on the bar clamp and tuck the wires in behind the light. Nobody has to know it dosn't work. :)

• Z06

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:29 AM

Go to any bike boneyard and get an ignition key switch from a street bike.Mount it on the bar clamp and tuck the wires in behind the light. Nobody has to know it dosn't work. :)

Not a bad idea. :D

Maybe along with a kill switch. I wonder where the best place is to mount a kill.

Mac

• Z06

Posted April 13, 2004 - 02:42 PM

TTT

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ddialogue

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:37 PM

Maybe along with a kill switch. I wonder where the best place is to mount a kill.

I have a waterproof toggle switch strategically located on my bike that when enabled, closes the circuit for the kill switch, making it impossible to start. In the dark it would be difficult to to know what was going on let alone trying to find out why it wouldn't start. It was a quick, temporary solution to acquiring and installing a keyed switch.

Anyone want to steal my bike? Just look near the coolant jug... :)

• bikefrk

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:49 PM

If you need any help with wheelies in front of anyone's house in the area just let me know.

I will need a GPS coordinate and an approximate time that the person would be home. After that is delivered to my PM I can make "this" happen.

Can't help you with the ignition switch. I want to ride my bike to work but am not happy with leaving it out. I might just get a big logging chain and leave it at work. Locking the bike to a 8' chain link fence post should be good enough?

• tigerowner_ut

Posted April 14, 2004 - 03:51 AM

fourstrokesonly.com has keyed ignition switches that should work. If I remember correctly they are around $35.

• Z06

Posted April 14, 2004 - 05:08 AM

fourstrokesonly.com has keyed ignition switches that should work. If I remember correctly they are around $35.

Any Link?

I looked everywhere on that site. :)

Mac

• lightstorm

Posted April 14, 2004 - 12:14 PM

The Australian model comes with a key ignition and a push switch you can swap to wich you prefer.
The key has no light to let you know you left the ignition on hence flat batteries!

• 450high

Posted April 16, 2004 - 12:54 AM

In australia wr ' s come standard with a keyed ignition to meet design rules. Most of us take ours off and put the button back off,The keyed ones usually take a dump after a few weeks.They do plug straight in and come with the bracket,direct from yamaha australia.

• ddold

Posted August 06, 2004 - 09:24 PM

Any Link?

I looked everywhere on that site. :thumbsup:

Mac

Just in case anyone else runs the same search I did ... http://fourstrokeson...om/DSParts.html ... about halfway down the page

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.