'01 426 Gearbox issue

4 replies to this topic
  • Max

Posted May 08, 2002 - 09:47 PM

My brothers just bought a second hand 2001 YZ426 and it seems to "jump out" of 5th gear. It happens anytime after shifting into top, it jumps out of gear resonably violently, the motor instantly free revs and then it re-engages. It continues this cycle till down shifting.

Has anyone else had / heard of this problem with the 426?

I've heard of problems with soft 4th gears, but it seems to me like an issue with the selector dog or pawl not holding engagement?

• thumper4life

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:44 AM

i dont have any, what the hecks he doing in 5th anyways!? :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:11 AM

Could be a bent shift fork or that gear is just worn out..

What kinda riding did this guy do to be in 5th

I have a problem with my 00 jumping out of gear, but that is my feet are to big and they keep hitting the freaking gear shift.

Freestyle does that meet with your approval or are you gonna spu something stupid again

• Jon_Escombe

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:17 AM

Yes, jumping out of 5th is a very common problem on the Supermoto scene. The answer is apparently to have the gears back-cut..

It's usually intermittent though, if it happens every time, then maybe you have a bent selector or worn dogs?

• XR6's_rule

Posted May 10, 2002 - 04:10 AM

I had this exact problem with my '99 WR400! I ended up pulling the engine out and stripping it down. I found that the dogs on 5th and 3rd matching gears were worn/rounded, but I believe this was caused by a bent center shift fork. I replaced the 5th and 3rd gears on the counter and main shafts (4 gears) and all 3 of the selectors. It was interesting to note that the new center selector was "beefed up" indicating to me that they are weak? Good luck and let me know what you find! :)

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.