Steering locked one way....

2 replies to this topic
  • Bernie_Boy

Posted April 12, 2004 - 05:51 PM

Hi all, had a problem with my XR600 over Easter while riding...
The Steering Stem locked one way, it could turn one way but not the other. If you pushed hard enough it would free up and turn but this obviously was very dangerous for me. I free'd it up with WD40.

Now...Does that sound like the Stem bearing to you? or maybe the steering lock?
(NOTE: I never had the key for the steering lock, so never used it.). Is it hard to service the steering stem? (e.g. replace bearings and seals?) :)

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted April 12, 2004 - 06:26 PM

Sounds like it could be a bad bearing (maybe it came apart?? It would have to be pretty mangled to lock up the steering stem) Mine stem doesn't have a keyed lock on it. It's a pretty easy process to service the bearings. I try to do mine once a year or so. If you end up having to replace the lower bearing it will have to pressed (hammered) off and the new bearing pressed on (not hammered, lol). Shoot me a PM if you need torque specs etc.

• jamracing

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Happened to me about a decade ago, top bearing exploded and almost put me into a 'lectric pole...XR frames get very hot from the oil, and dry those bearings right up. You'll be better off replacing them both, while putting tons 'o grease. Use the stickiest/heat resistant grease you can find.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.