Help!! Steering head bearings!!

5 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:34 PM

How is the best way to remove the bottom steering head bearing??? I ask this after I have cut mine off to remove it. Surely you don't have to do this every time. Once the bearing is in place, there is no place to hit it to drive it back off the shaft.

I noticed that my steering would slightly stick after my bike sat on the stand. I removed the steering head to find that water had contaminated the grease on the bearings. My bike has never been submerged in water and is always kept indoors. The water came from washing the bike with a garden hose and spray nozzle. Moral to the story......watch where you spray....even with a garden hose. I will use much greater caution from now on while spraying in this area.

• MX_Tuner

Posted May 09, 2002 - 06:35 AM

The easiest (only) way is to press the stem out of the lower triple clamp. The bearing obviously pops right off. Plus it can be repacked much more thoroughly with it off the stem.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 06:38 AM

As mxtuner point out

With proper tools one can leveragde it off easly, if you have access to a press more better..

It does come off easily if pressure is applied evenly

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Shawn_Mc

Posted May 09, 2002 - 07:54 AM

I have a question, having never taken the clamp off this bike. Arent the bearings in the headstock tapered bearings? If so, why couldnt you heat the bottom race to ease the removal?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 08:09 AM

That is an option if the do not come out very easily with leverage.

The only time I had to cut them or press them is if the bike is just badly maintained and they are rusted

• Boit

Posted May 10, 2002 - 02:26 AM

I bought a 20 ton hydraulic press from Harbor Freight that has paid for itself many times over. It comes in handy for all kinds of stuff if you work on your own bikes/cars/mowers/bicycles/tractors...etc. The thing isn't the best quality, but the price was right and it gets the job done. Of course, you'll need a little space to store it and it IS heavy.

It paid for itself when I changed the front CV joint and axles on my son's Celica. We had to press a support bearing off the old axle and press it on to the new one. The lowest estimate I got for the entire job was nearly $500. We did it in about 5 hours at a cost of $95 in parts. Naturally, a few neighbors have also asked for favors with their projects and repairs.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.