03 yamaha or honda?

36 replies to this topic
  • stroker_pro_383

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:14 PM

i have a 2001 426 now but have rode the 450 honda and liked the difference in weight..it also made pretty good power...do any of u guy know what yamaha is doin to the 426 for 03? i would like to know.....is it goin to be a 450 or weigh less..have any of u heard ne thing yet?

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: stroker pro 383 ]

• yznvegas

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:19 PM

I heard the yz450 is already in the works. It kind of makes me wish I waited a couple of months before I bought this bike. But, this bike has such huge cajones already, I don't think I need much more power.

• motoman393

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:50 PM

You better get on the list now, or you wont get one! Remember 2 years ago when everyone wanted a 250f but they were all sold out for 6 months! Well the same thing will happen when Yamaha sweeps the floor of that thing called the CR450 LOL I cant wait until June, when Yammie releases details! Later,

Garrett

• MXOldtimer

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:57 PM

Hummmm how does,

450cc
All new frame
All new motor
E-start
all new plastic
& 3 lbs less than the CRF

Sound
:)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 08, 2002 - 07:51 PM

Hey Oldtimer.......
aren't you forgeting the<font color=blue><h3> BOLD</h3> new grafix??????? :)

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: THUMPIN' ROCK HUCKER ]

• yankee

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:41 AM

"3 lbs less than the CRF "

That would be a revolution for Yamaha. With the exception of the yz125, all of Yamahas bikes are almost 10% heavier than their Honda counterparts. This includes the street bikes.

Another competitor that you should be looking at is the KTM 450. This baby will be light and easy to start (relative to the 426).

I am glad that KTM will come out with another light easy-to-start 450. Maybe then Yamaha might be forced to start an internal revolution. That would be great for all Moto customers. Then we would have three choices make.

[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: yankee ]

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:18 AM

News is that in June, Suzuki will be announcing both 250 and 450 four stroke crossers.

Take a look at www.motorcyclenews.com and look in the off road section. The way they write about the 03 YZF, it looks like being nowhere near as trick as everyone is expecting - just a capacity increase, that's all. Could be wrong though.

Andrew
01 426
PS - hello everyone - in case you hadn't gathered this is my first post. I'm also a Brit, so be gentle.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:28 AM

Speculation :D
Rumers :)
Inside Scoop :D

All this is great PR for yami, the CR in its own right is a good bike
It has problems (Normal First Run , First Year)
So did YZ's
the 03 yami---- Only time will tell here are the givins
1: has to be a 450 or above
2: has to be lighter then honda or dang close
3: has to be in the same price range or better

other then that Time will tell :D

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:48 AM

True enough. Anyway, I don't know why I'm getting excited about '03 models - I can't even ride my '01 to its full potential yet (probably never will).....

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:50 AM

Ditto Here :)
Buts a gas holding on isnt it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MXOldtimer

Posted May 09, 2002 - 06:07 AM

Originally posted by yankee:
"3 lbs less than the CRF "

Another competitor that you should be looking at is the KTM 450. This baby will be light and easy to start (relative to the 426).

I am glad that KTM will come out with another light easy-to-start 450.
[ May 09, 2002: Message edited by: yankee ]

The 450 rule will hurt KTM. What kept the KTM-520 in the hunt was their engine was 96cc "larger" if you stop to look at it the KTM-400 was only 26cc smaller and should have put out pretty much the same performance, but it didn't come close to the 426 or the older 400 for that matter. Bigger was always better in 4 strokes, but with the 450cc cap that doesn't apply anymore and a head to head matchup with 450 performance Yamaha will come out on top.

• Thumpty_Dumpty

Posted May 09, 2002 - 06:24 AM

Four strokes up to 450cc are likely to be allowed to race with the 250 'stink pots' in GPs next year. So expect to see a load of 'conveniently-sized' 449cc 4-bangers emerging very soon.

What that will mean for 'open class' bikes like the 520 KTM, or Husaberg, is anyone's guess.

• yankee

Posted May 09, 2002 - 07:01 AM

"a head to head matchup with 450 performance Yamaha will come out on top."

That is pretty arrogant and very yamaha spokesmanlike.

I do not care right now how the future KTM's will compare with the future Yammies. All I care is that there will be more manufacturers that make 450 thumpers. Maybe if KTM grabs a new share of the thumper market then all other makers will respond with even better thumpers. Thus benefiting the consumer. Right now I am very happy with my red thumper. :)

• Le_Racer

Posted May 09, 2002 - 09:34 PM

Salut!

As now, Yamaha is racing a 449cc, wet sump motor with new cases in a 2002 style frame, with 2002 plastics and graphics, in the japanese MX nationals.

I expect the new engine in a slightly altered frame and all new plastics for 2003, and that's just my guess.

I'm also curious to see anything about the rumored street legal supermotard, might be something to come out of it for the open MX class...

Ciao!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 09, 2002 - 11:39 AM

The KTM 400 wasnt ever set to oppose the YZ426. The 520 was. Hey its the way the rules were written. I bet ya this, the new KTM's will have quite a bit more punch in the 450, but its still gonna have a fairly wierd frame set up, at least thats my guess. I read on motonews.org that Yamaha was experimenting with a new casting technique and sealing technique that shoul allow them to make the engine cases and other cast parts 40% lighter and 10% stronger. If thats so, and yamaha acutally pays attention to the hardware selection to outfit the rest of the bike, you could see a 230lb YZ, but I wouldnt bet on it. Since honda sharpened up the rake on the CR450, its going to turn a hell of a lot better, and I thought it turned better than my bike anyway. The part that peaks my interest is the LACK of offical pre-issue hype.

• motojunkie

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:17 PM

What kept the KTM-520 in the hunt was their engine was 96cc "larger

For the record, it's 84cc, a 520 is actually 510.4cc.

KTM made their bike to produce a desired powerband, and in my opinion theirs is the best. While aiming for a specific powerband, they also got the easiest to start. That was due to a lower compression ratio - KTM could easily up the compression ratio, and "find" the missing horsepower.

With that said, it's a great time to be into MX, all of the bikes are pretty damn good.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:31 PM

Man this is just getting old

MotoJunkie is right it is a good time to be a thumper freak

Its also a good time to be breathing,
a good time to sober
a good time to be filty stinking rich
a good time to be a really really nice guy
a good time to make fun of cannondale :)

Ya its just a good time

• thumper4life

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:54 PM

what about ktm

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:04 PM

Insignifacant Thumper

Ahhh Man now ya did it you mention ktm Now I am bummmed

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 03:28 PM

OK I just got the exclusive picture fo rthe new 03
cannondales
03 Cannondales

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.