basic suspension set-up questions

4 replies to this topic
  • TCfl

Posted April 12, 2004 - 11:37 AM

Looking for some help on setting up my suspension. I'm 210lbs, ride mostly in sandy terrain, with occasional rides on some hardpacked soil. Does anyone out there have some baseline settings that they recommend I start with? Not sure if the bike still has stock fork springs or not, but the entire suspension feels soft to me at this point, I know I don't have my sag set correctly yet, as the bike is very slow to turn in and the forks are already up in the trees about 14MM. I just picked up a service manual today so I'm working on the sag setting now, but I'd really like to hear from a few 200lbs on what they have thier bikes set at front and rear.

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Here are two links for you:

Setup part 1

Setup part 2

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TCfl

Posted April 12, 2004 - 03:32 PM

Thanks! Those two articles refreshed everything I thought I remembered about setting up suspension. I've now got my sag set. Looking forward to some track side adjustments.

• tigerowner_ut

Posted April 13, 2004 - 01:12 PM

Looking for some help on setting up my suspension. I'm 210lbs

Buy heavier springs. You will need a spring rate around 5.4 for your weight. You can set the sag with the stock spring but the preload will be cranked beyond specs. a stiffer spring will give you better performance.

• JVP

Posted April 14, 2004 - 10:48 AM

I agree. Unfortunately the Japanese still are making bikes for th 170+/- 10 lbs. weight range. You need bigger springs to get it right for your weight. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.