How often should I change the oil on my 426?

12 replies to this topic
  • thorMX426

Posted April 12, 2004 - 11:11 AM

I was out in the back yard today feeling the difference that the TPS mod made. I looked on my Trail Tech Endurence and saw that I had 50 miles on my last oil change. Can you guys give me any recomendations on how many miles and/or hours I should change my oil? Thanks in advance :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 12, 2004 - 11:43 AM

Every 10 hours of riding. Approx 200 miles. :)

• yz007f

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:25 PM

Alot of it depends on how hard you ride your bike. If you just use your bike for joy riding then you can go alot longer than someone that uses it for racing mx. I change my oil after every ride. I only race mx even when I practice twice a week I still change it everytime, along with the air filter etc. 10 hours isn't a bad starting point, but I wouldn't go that long. The more often you change your oil the better. Try it for three rides and see what happens. If your oil is dark then next time change it sooner. Everytime I change my oil it looks like I just poured it in. Still has the nice gold colour.
just my 2 cents

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:47 PM

A lot really depends on the oil you use also!

Try the Amsoil 0w-40. Toughest oil I have ever used in a bike! It takes a TON of abuse and still comes out without color.

• Satch0922

Posted April 12, 2004 - 02:33 PM

The type of oil makes little difference when it's polluted with clutch material and peices of metal. Best thing to do (on a YZF) is to change it at least every other ride (if riding MX). That is easily less than 100 miles.

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 12, 2004 - 02:49 PM

You know you can change the filter more often than the oil!

There is a thought!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sirthumpalot

Posted April 12, 2004 - 03:51 PM

In this case the filter has relatively large holes in it and it doesn't grab all the little particles floating around in there. Good thought, maybe if it had a better filter.

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:21 AM

I change oil after every third ride or after every race...

Oil is much cheaper than repairing premature engine failure!

Bonzai :)

• thorMX426

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:28 AM

Thanks for the info guys :). I dont think that my oil filter has been changed in a while so that can be one of my projects over spring break :D Thanks again!! :D

• yathump

Posted April 13, 2004 - 04:08 AM

A magnetic drain plug probably whouldn't be a bad investment. :)

• Boostn

Posted April 13, 2004 - 05:58 AM

I use stock oil filter. Should I replace it everytime or should I just clean it out? I am thinking of cleaning it in automotive solvent.

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:18 AM

The stock filter on the 426 is brass and is pretty good. Under normal riding conditions you can get away with changing the filter every two oil changes(Clean it out with brake parts cleaner). I would highly recommend backing up the filter with a magnetic drain plug (Very good(Cheap) insurance).

Bonzai :)

• falshh

Posted April 18, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Oil is cheap and that bike doesnt hold much.Change it after every ride.I change my oil after every ride and change the filter every second ride I pay $12 just for a filter.Does anyone know where you can buy filters and the copper crush washers cheap or in bulk?The dealer really strokes us on prices.

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.