Hot News!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 replies to this topic
  • FOX426

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:50 AM

Talking to my Yamaha dealer today I learned Yamaha is making a retrofit "ELECTRIC START" (magic button) for the 426 and 250! It should be availible soon with a cost around $400.00 This seems a little steep to me but for racing I have to consider it.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:53 AM

Thats cool and all, but my YZ is heavy enough already.

• FOX426

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:58 AM

It is supposed to run off a dry cell battery that is very light. Produces just enough power to start the bike; it will not power lights.

• Unibomber

Posted May 08, 2002 - 09:18 PM

Gotta side with Shawn on this one, I need no more weight.

(but if your a racin mother I can see where this would be a good thing)

But for me Ill just keep on kickin.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:06 AM

Why ????????????????????????????????????????????

If I wanted a bike with electric start I would have gotten a freaking BMW Paris to Daker Bike

Man That is the lamest thing I have ever heard, an electric start on the YZ, I am puzzled, WHY????? :)

Thats like Boobies on a boar

• FOX426

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:16 AM

Ego, Do you really need to ask why? Just look at at all the post over the years... I can't start my bike, I"m going with KTM for the e start, procedure tooooo complicated,the whining has been plenty. "Be careful what you ask for.. you might get it".

• dp400

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:29 AM

Be careful here. I ride a 400 KTM with an electric starter - it works GREAT but I also know guys that bought the kit for there SXs and they just don't seem to work as good as when they come from the factory installed. I have only kick started my bike once since I've owned it (one year).It seems like a weird thing to most of us coming from old school dirt biking to have a e start on a dirt bike but once you have it you will not go back. Good luck with the kit! :)

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:43 AM

Its not the electric start its the fact the the purity of the bike is disimbowled with those that want to buture it by placing stupid things like electric start.

If its an electric start ya want then go get a ktm or a beemer or what ever else has one.

To me I am a purest, I bought the bike becouse it is an awsome bike. I have never had issues starting the beast stock or modified.

To add such things like electric start to it in my mind is ludicris, its hararsy,
Its Its
HeHe :)

To me the YZ is perfect and with the correct finess it can be perfection. But I bleed YZ blue.

• Dobbins_#21

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:45 AM

I kick mine over just fine. NO E-start.
What a waste of money.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fastkevin

Posted May 08, 2002 - 11:51 AM

Well the A-hole that rides my bike has a problem with sliding it to square off turns(underneath people :D ) and then poops a twinkie when he stalls it. I should buy him that damn starter,
or kick his A$$.. :)

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted May 08, 2002 - 02:58 PM

Hey Mike,
I know you're reading this since I sent you the link. Is it true or is this dealer wishing to sell stuff that doesn't exist.
I dare you to place a post here to confirm or deny this rumor. I will not compromise your position at Big Blue by revealing your name and email address to the over 5000 members of ThumperTalk. Hey, no pressure....
If it is true when can we expect to see them at the dealers?
If you don't want to post send me an e-mail and I will post on your behalf.

• nopremix

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:24 PM

absolutely no need for an electric start, just learn the drill, its not that bad come on people...

• freestyle111

Posted May 08, 2002 - 07:06 PM

egoahole,you need to take a few spelling lessons before boasting of a 140 IQ

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 09, 2002 - 02:56 AM

Not boasting bout me my IQ is = to the HP on the YZ

someone else boasted and I am just digging :)

• Kirtwell

Posted May 09, 2002 - 04:11 AM

I raced my big blue twice this month. 2 weeks ago, I stalled the bike on my second moto after getting the hole shot :) I was dead last by the time I got the bike fired up. I didn't panic and took my time with the drill...started 2nd kick.

I figured this would never happen again....I RARELY stall my in practice.

This last weekend. In the heat of a race...I'm in 4th working on a Red rider....he's tired and I know I can take him....come into a berm right on his back tire...POP...the dam thing stalled again... :D &%$#@!.....By the time I get the bike started.....11th...Finished behind a KDX200....OMG!!!!!

Rumor or No Rumor... Extra Weight???...I don't give a Sh*T.......I'd gave $4000 in those few seconds of starting that bike to have the E-start.

I know the stalling is my fault...just being nervous and all but Dam guys this bike can ruin your day in a race when it coughs.

I'm for the E-Start....Honestly...I'd probably hook it up only when I race....the rest of the time...It won't be needed

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 09, 2002 - 04:16 AM

Ever stall your bike on the face of a steep, gnarly hill climb? An e-start would be perfect for something like that. Whether or not the retrofitted electric starter rumor is true is a whole 'nother question.

• fastkevin

Posted May 09, 2002 - 04:34 AM

Actually, turning the idle up really cuts down on the stalling in berms

• Kirtwell

Posted May 09, 2002 - 05:18 AM

I agree!!! turning your idle up helps with not stalling....however, I'm on of those guys that gets tunnel vision when I'm racing...I simply jammed on the gas in the wrong gear....stupid mistake...we've all done imagine this:

Pull in the clutch...Tap a button.... engine fires instantly.... drop down to the right gear start throwing some roost in less than 2 seconds is my idea of saving my ass in a race. What concept.

The weight issue isn't something I wouldn't look foward to...I could ease up on the Budweiser and offset most of what that kit would add. :)

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.