Magura Hydraulic clutch

26 replies to this topic
  • revolucien

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:09 AM

thinking about trying one and would like to hear from anyone using it with some pros and cons about it

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:15 AM

revolucien,
I am looking for the same info. My main concern is durability as I have heard some negative things but I don't really believe those stories :).

• cm67yz

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:38 AM

The Magura Hydraulic clutch is the best mod I have done to my bike!The pull is so easy.I have had mine for awhile now and I would never part with it.

• fastenuf4u

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:44 AM

Now that we have heard how good it is, anyone know where the best deal is on these? I saw them for $189 on http://www.motorsportoutlet.com is this the best their is? Thanks.

• yamaha.dude

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:09 PM

try closer to home...

http://shop.thumpertalk.com

Cheers,

David

• mxcowboy

Posted April 12, 2004 - 05:21 PM

I have the Hebo unit and since I've put it on I have not had any problems with it.
You may do a search on Magura, There has been some problems with it.
That is why I went with Hebo. Hebo has a braided line.
That is one of my best mods.
http://www.erider.ws/hyd.htm

• hobbes502

Posted April 12, 2004 - 07:01 PM

I have the Hebo unit and since I've put it on I have not had any problems with it.
You may do a search on Magura, There has been some problems with it.
That is why I went with Hebo. Hebo has a braided line.
That is one of my best mods.
http://www.erider.ws/hyd.htm

So the hebo will bolt right up onto a 01 426 no problem then?

• GrahamO

Posted April 12, 2004 - 08:25 PM

I don't have any experience with one because the one I bought won't fit on a WR450. The starter's in the way.

So... I do have one for sale in good condition. The only damage is a scratch on the resivour cap. It has an ARC unbreakable lever ($60 new) on it, too. The application guide says it will fit 01-03 YZ250F and 98-02 YZ/WR 400/426. No idea on the YZ450.

I'll send it anyone's way for $160 including shipping.

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 13, 2004 - 05:14 AM

GrahamO

I called Magura and they sent me a bracket to mount the Magura to my wr450.If you give them a call they will probably send you one.

I've been running a magura for over a year and one of the seals finally went bad.I called magura and they are rebuilding it for free.The pull is mice and consistent and the customer service is top notch. :)

• yzfmxer

Posted April 13, 2004 - 05:15 AM

The TT store says it's $217.00 thats not low? :) :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Blue_One

Posted April 13, 2004 - 05:18 AM

The TT store says it's $217.00 thats not low? :) :D

Call them or click the store chat when they open.They have a low price guarantee and will beat other shops. :D

• jespertheil

Posted April 13, 2004 - 10:17 AM

Does anyone have a picture of their Magura mounted on a 2001 YZ426? I have the clutch, but haven´t mounted it yet.. The bracket seems to be wrong so i would like to see one mounted..

• R_Little

Posted April 13, 2004 - 10:33 AM

The bracket seems wrong because the slave cylinder is loose inside the bracket, right? It seems the bracket it too big.

This is okay as the slave cylinder has to float in the bracket. There needs to be a lot of play.

I found the magura a real plus. the cable clutch was a 2 finger affair, very hard to slip in the heat of battle.

Now its one finger and it complements my new yz timing. One finger to instant roost/wheelie/rocket up the faces of jumps. Gotta love it. Without the magura I'd go back to WR time where I rarely even used the clutch.

• jespertheil

Posted April 13, 2004 - 11:59 PM

The bracket seems wrong because the slave cylinder is loose inside the bracket, right? It seems the bracket it too big.

This is okay as the slave cylinder has to float in the bracket. There needs to be a lot of play.

I found the magura a real plus. the cable clutch was a 2 finger affair, very hard to slip in the heat of battle.

Now its one finger and it complements my new yz timing. One finger to instant roost/wheelie/rocket up the faces of jumps. Gotta love it. Without the magura I'd go back to WR time where I rarely even used the clutch.

Exactly! The bracket seems to big and there is no bolt on the other side to make it stay in the bracket.. :) Is it supposed to be so, just sitting loose in the the braket only being held by the cable to the clutch arm? :D

• gerker

Posted April 14, 2004 - 05:16 AM

I have a Magura on my yz400 and it worked great until I snapped the plastic hydro line, doesn't take much. I replaced the stock plastic with the magura braided line and have had nothing but trouble. First ride the fluid "weeped" out near the resevoir over a two hour period and I was without a clutch. Tightend everything up and re-charged the system (not easy) and it was good for another 1.5 rides. Spoke with Magura and apparently there is a mod to the parts supplied with the braided line. I've received it but haven't tried it. If it doesn't work I'm going back to the stock hydro line. Overall when working it's great. About a 20% boost.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 14, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I have no issues with the braided line. Stock plastic line heat fatigues and turns brittle. Mounting of the Slave cylinder is the most important thing. The Magura design requires the slave cylinder to float and pivot during the clutch action since the rod end does not pivot. I designed my own pivoting rod end mount and have had no issues with the unit at all. I love my clutch action! :)

• MXbob60

Posted April 15, 2004 - 05:04 AM

I have one on my '01 and am generally impressed with the fit/finish, ease of install, and REALLY like the improved feel/action of the clutch lever.
The hydro line seems a little exposed (especially for offroad use), but no problems with it yet. Might fabricate some sort of guard out of alum. to shield it from branches. :)

• holeshot426

Posted April 16, 2004 - 07:47 AM

Magura has the best customer service out there. They really work at making their customers feel good about buying their product. I have delt with Lonnie in the service dept. at Magura, and he has hooked me up phat. If you ever have any problems with anything Magura makes, send it to them and they fix it and send it back. They have definitly stoked me out...

Not to mention the pull is so easy! I would never go back...

:) to Lonnie and Magura

• TZNU

Posted April 29, 2004 - 11:07 AM

Put one on the wifes Warrior and she thinks its great. I had issues with the fact that after I purchased it I found out that other mods were going to be required. Like removal of the parkling brake and all the other related electrical crap that was hooked up to the stock unit. I did call Magura and was told that they didn't make the wiring harness for that quad. Out came the wire cutters and then down to the dealer to get a brake block off, Another $30.00. But it does work.

• probracing1

Posted May 20, 2004 - 10:11 AM

I would strongly recomend against it. I had one and not only was the pull not any better but, the damn thing broke 30 miles up in the Sawtooths! NO NO MAGURA! I was fortunate that I had my stock clutch back @ camp and was able to run it once I made it back to camp---30 miles with no clutch In the rocky mountains. sweet.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.