frayed cable

15 replies to this topic
  • thumperpower411

Posted May 08, 2002 - 03:59 AM

anyone on the yz 4-strokes had any problems with the throttle cable fraying on my father 1998 yz 400 hes on his third cable whats the deal? i work at a dealership and evan the never bikes are haveing the problem appearently are there any fixes for it or a better cable?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:04 AM

Lube and routing

If the routing of the cable is kinking, binding or obstructing some how it will cause friction in the liner and cut the smaller threads

Also lube the P P out of it every ride.....

• thumperpower411

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:06 AM

well its been lubed and as far as i can see routed right i cant figure this one

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:08 AM

hummmmmmmmm

Then Maybe your dad just needs to stop twisting the grip so much and just stay wide open :)

Man not sure about that then, assume you using stock yami cables ?

Where is it fraying at ?

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• thumperpower411

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:11 AM

well the first two were stock now its motion pro and it fraying by the carberator

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:19 AM

The cables are a push me pull you type,

Are the fraying at or near the bolt holes ?

Or around the cable holder itself that is connected to the Carb

if they are fraying on the holder on the carb then look real close and even round the edges with a jewlers file to smooth things out.

It sounds like something is rubbing them raw, this could be a cutting action caused by rubbing.

Look at the carb connection real close thoug, I would bet you find some kind of bur or anomily there :)

• Merfman

Posted May 08, 2002 - 04:22 AM

Do a search here for frayed cables, you'll find the answer. If I remember correctly, it's the angle where it "leaves" the throttle housing and engages the wheel that causes the cable to rub againt the housing. Ty Davis sells a wheel that supposedly fixes the problem but it's something like $48... I had mine stick at 1/4 throttle on a double-double jump section at the local track. Once I cleaned my shorts, I packed up and went home.

Merf

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:13 AM

I just ordered a new cable for my '01 because it's fraying. I looked closely and everything seems to line up properly, I'm not sure why it's fraying. If anyone finds a cheaper solution than the $48 wheel then let me know!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:57 AM

merfman is correct. This seems to be a cronic problem on the FCR. TerryCable does sell a replacement wheel (I believe it's made by yosh) and it does correct the problem. Yeah, it's a little pricy but so is replacing throttle cables frequently. I replaced the wheel last year and have no sign of fraying since.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 07:08 AM

Ya do a search on frayed cable

Thats what I was trying to say

Man Some peoples Kids

:)

• dirtdad

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:18 AM

ego, I swear you just love hearing yourself talk,
don't you?! :) Here's the link if anyone is interested. http://www.ziptyraci...ducts/index.htm

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:25 AM

When I did my BK mod, I noticed my cables where frayed also. Here's the deal. The bracket for the throttle cables is different than you would think. The jam nuts on the cables dont sit in cable bracket with the flat side to the notch. The jam nuts are supposed have one of the corners in the notch. If they are like this, the nuts cock the cable over to the inside just a tad. Well that tad causes the cable to drag on the throttle wheel and eventually fray. I set mine up correctly and no more issues. If you take the carb off and assemble the cables onto it while on the bench you see what Im talking about. If I had a digital camera, Id take some photos to explain this better.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 08:28 AM

DirtDad

Ya I am an egotisticle sob aint I :)

• Merfman

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
The jam nuts are supposed have one of the corners in the notch. If they are like this, the nuts cock the cable over to the inside just a tad. Well that tad causes the cable to drag on the throttle wheel and eventually fray. I set mine up correctly and no more issues. If you take the carb off and assemble the cables onto it while on the bench you see what Im talking about. If I had a digital camera, Id take some photos to explain this better.

Well, that makes perfect sense and I'm 99% sure I've installed mine wrong!

Shawn, thanks for the tip!

Merf

• thumper4life

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:23 AM

t-power 411's dad had his throttle stick at around 1/4 too on a double double section too...the last double was a triple so he kinda had a meeting with the dirt :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 08, 2002 - 11:01 AM

Merf, I had it set wrong at first too. I didnt really notice it until I set the whole thing up on the bench when I was timing the pump squirt for the bk mod. The cable was already frayed but setting the carb on the bench with the cables attached, and the throttle hooked too, I saw the mis-alignment almost immediatley. At first I was thinkin the bracket was bent, then I noticed that the throttle cables didnt come off the bracket squarely to begin with, which led me to the jam nut clearance in the inner radius of the bend in the bracket. The it was a &%$#@!? Its seems to me that the engineer that built the bracket didnt let anyone else in on his little trick with the jam nuts. Having worked for Hughes Aircraft for 13 years in the prototype lab, Ive seen all kinds of inanley stupid things like this bracket.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.