new tires

14 replies to this topic
  • Dansgarage

Posted May 08, 2002 - 03:40 AM

I am getting ready to buy new tires for the back of my bike. yes I said tires, I want to have one or two spares on hand. I am in the military and being sent to alaska. More spacificly Kodiak island. I don't know what the exact conditions are there and I was wondering if you all could help me with what kind of tire or tires to buy. I am going to be doing some racing on the island but mostly trail riding. I am thinking of just geting the stock 739g. I can get those as rocky mountain cycle for about $60 ea. does anyone know another place with good prices for me to check out. thanks everyone

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 03:49 AM

Dan
RockyMC is about the best price I have found,,
Plus I think the choice of the 739g is good, I just put on new 756's front & back and am not impressed by the wear factor. I have one ride on them and the look like I have been through 2 45 minute GP's.. :)

They hook up great but wear like an old hag. I will go with the 739g next time around.

The 756 is a good tire but needs soft terrain to med terrain. My choice for the 756 was bad becouse the terrain I ride is Med to Hard (Me Bad).

• Hokie

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:12 AM

Originally posted by EgoAhole:
Dan
RockyMC is about the best price I have found,,
Plus I think the choice of the 739g is good, I just put on new 756's front & back and am not impressed by the wear factor. I have one ride on them and the look like I have been through 2 45 minute GP's.. :)

They hook up great but wear like an old hag. I will go with the 739g next time around.

The 756 is a good tire but needs soft terrain to med terrain. My choice for the 756 was bad becouse the terrain I ride is Med to Hard (Me Bad).

Is the 739g what comes stock? I hate those tires, they really suck on the tracks out here. The 756 works great for me, but like EA said they are only for soft to medium soil conditions.

[ May 08, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 08, 2002 - 09:35 PM

Im now not so happy, I just dropped 110 bucks on a pair of 756's and most of the tracks i ride are almost blue grove. I hope I dont hate myself in the morning so to speak

• Hokie

Posted May 08, 2002 - 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Shawn Mc:
Im now not so happy, I just dropped 110 bucks on a pair of 756's and most of the tracks i ride are almost blue grove. I hope I dont hate myself in the morning so to speak

If they suck let me know, we can work out a deal.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:02 AM

Agree with Shawn

The 756 are only for soft in my opinion, I took a chance on them, becouse were i ride is real loam in the upper hills, sandy and soft soft forrest dirt. But they were out to quick getting there.

I liked the 739g's they hooked up ok but they are a hard pack tire

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 08, 2002 - 10:49 AM

I havent recieved the tires yet, so Im just over thinking it right now, but Im already unhappy with the K490 on the front, and my K695 is almost ready for the grinder and some paddles.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PumpkinHumper

Posted May 08, 2002 - 02:24 PM

I run 756 & 752's almost exclusively. Here im Michigan we dont have much hardpack. I love them. Especially the 756 front.

• grashoper250

Posted May 08, 2002 - 07:47 PM

blue groove - Bridgestone M22

• Striker

Posted May 13, 2002 - 07:16 PM

I blew thru that stock back Dunlop in record time. I just got a Michelin Starcross MH2 for the rear and that thing hooks up outstanding at the tracks here in So-Cal. Great med-hard terrain with ability to get by in the softer stuff IMO. Also, got it for $55 at Cycle Gear in Fullerton, CA!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 14, 2002 - 12:38 PM

Well Ive got one ride on my new 756's, on a basically blue grove track, and they're better than the 490/695 combo I had. Its not that they stick better, they're just more predictable. As a side note, that 756 110/90X90 was the hardest tire to mount Ive ever seen. Sidewall is brutally stiff. :)

• Hokie

Posted May 14, 2002 - 12:49 PM

As a side note, that 756 110/90X90 was the hardest tire to mount Ive ever seen. Sidewall is brutally stiff. :)

You mean they are not all that hard to mount?
I have only mounted 756's and I continually bend the tire irons doing it. :D

TIP: Don't try to mount those suckers when it is cold in the garage. Damn near impossible.

I have a 755 for the rear to try next time, maybe it will be easier.

• Hick

Posted May 14, 2002 - 01:06 PM

As a side note, that 756 110/90X90 was the hardest tire to mount Ive ever seen. Sidewall is brutally stiff. :)

You should try a 120/90-19 739 AT. Thing must be like a 20 ply, literally feels five pounds heavier than a “normal” tire. But it is nearly flat proof, and heck, handles about the same w/out air as w/. :D

Actually it isn’t that hard to mount, of course the only other tire I run is a 756, but you do notice the difference with the A/T, handling and mounting.

On a side note I just mounted my 773 or whatever that new Dunlop soft-terrain tire is. I’ll start a new thread on how it compares to the 756 rear after I’ve put a few rides on it.

• tony_t.

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:06 PM

I've ran the 773's at the last two races and they work really well as long as the track holds some moisture. The rear seems to get a little less predictable as the track dries out but the front works well even in drier conditions and they seem to be holding up with only minimal wear after eight motos and three hours of practice.

• yznvegas

Posted May 14, 2002 - 05:33 PM

What do the numbers represent like "757"?? Is that the hardness of the tires? If so what is harder?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.