Tall Pro Tapers or other tall fat bars?

17 replies to this topic
  • flyinguitars

Posted April 12, 2004 - 04:00 AM

I've been using Renthal Jimmy buttons with 1.5" bar risers since I bought the bike in 2001. I've bent 3 pairs of them so far, so now Im done with the thin bars. Plus I like the way the fat bar flex.
Im 6'4" and Ive tried my friends bike with the Pro taper Travis Pastrana bend (I think thats what they were)and I liked them (rm250).
So now Im trying to decide what bar/clamp combo to use or if I should stick with the stock triple clamps and use the fat bar adaptors because they give a some rise to the bars.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Mike

• YAMAKAZE

Posted April 12, 2004 - 05:18 AM

I personally like the Scotts Tripple Clamp combo that comes with the standard Fat Bars or other bars of your choice at about $500.00. I have mounted this combo on all three of my bikes and have yet to have to replace a set of bars after a get off.

Bonzai :)

• DPW

Posted April 12, 2004 - 05:54 AM

I'm 6'3 and use the RC FatBar and replaced the triple clamp with one from BRP, which allowed me to move the bars more forward. BRP can also sell you taller bar mounts too. Here is another option to save some $$$ http://www.motoworld...03_privkit.html, I'd shop around though you might be able to get the kit cheaper.

• revolucien

Posted April 12, 2004 - 06:08 AM

i'm 6'4" and use applied triples with pro taper(windham bend) the pastrana bend are even higher.

• yz007f

Posted April 12, 2004 - 01:33 PM

I would say use a Doug henry bend pro taper bar. I would never use anything else. I'm 6'3 on a 03' 450 and they work really well with the RG3 triple clamp. I don't like using the "bar risers" with the stock clamps because they raise the bars up but also the angle of the triple clamp is moving them back. With a triple clamp like RG3 or others you can move them forward which will make you smile ear to ear within three laps.
Just my 2 cents

• YZFan

Posted April 13, 2004 - 03:14 PM

I just installed the Pro Taper upper triple clamp that are adjustable and love them!!!!!! Look at the Pro Taper clamps first you wont be upset if you get them they are very adjustable forward and back. I also have Doug Henry bend bars and love them. Oh by the way Im 6'3" and 265. Hope this helps Good luck. You can see what I am talking about at MX South There are also different height bar mounts http://www.mxsouth.c...r/proclmkit.jpg

• OSO

Posted April 13, 2004 - 08:41 PM

I've been pretty happy with ProTaper KX-High bars on top of a BRP top clamp (with the tall mounts, moved forward). I'm 6'5" and it's much better for me than the stock setup... don't know how they'd compare to the Button bend with risers though. I'm pretty sure the KX-High is the tallest ProTaper bar available except for the Pastrana bend, but those are quite a bit narrower -- didn't want that. Solid bars though; never bent, and even with rubber mounts the risers have never twisted on me. Plus the guys at BRP are total bros, they've hooked me up every time I've needed anything. Go with what feels best / good luck finding it!

• Hamish

Posted April 13, 2004 - 09:53 PM

I recently installed some pastrana FS bars using stock top clamp with adapters. I'm 6'3". Seems pretty good so far :) Next step is to lower them pegs :D

Hamish

• flyinguitars

Posted April 14, 2004 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far!
I found a guy selling a pro taper package on ebay for 149.00. You get the bar, top clamp, grips, and pad. Sounds like a good deal, but I want to check out the pro taper line and see if this kit is junk.
I also liked the look of the pro taper top clamp from mx south...the one that is linked a few posts above. That with the tallest clamps set forward and some high bars would make a nice tall guy set-up.
Someone mentioned that the Travis bars aren't too wide. Im used to the button renthals and I think they are pretty wide compared to most....I kinda like that feel now. I guess I'll start comparing sizes.
Thanks again!
Mike

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 14, 2004 - 03:44 AM

I am 6'2" I just installed CR High's on the bike and made a big differance in the ergo.

Problem with Bar choices is you just can not buy one a try if you dont like it your stuck unless you can swap with someone. Or if you can try a bike with a setup you look at :) personally I normally require a check in the full market price of my bike before I let anyone ride it.

• WRECKS

Posted April 15, 2004 - 05:07 AM

I had the Pastrana freestyle bars until I bent them. They are definitly tall. Another alternative is the Tag CR double high. They are closer to the Jimmy Button bars in bend and a little wider than the Pastrana bars. I like them better personally.
I used both bars with the BRP triple clamp, taller and further forward.
Good luck

• SND

Posted April 15, 2004 - 05:30 AM

For starters, Oversize bars (fatbars, Protapers, Tag et al) flex 6% LESS than 7/8" Renthal handlebars.

Renthal has a new 609 bend that is a Carmichael HI bend it is similar in height to the Button bend, but is a bit straighter (which gives you more room).

609 bend is brand new and is made for tall riders.
:)

• flyinguitars

Posted April 15, 2004 - 07:49 AM

For starters, Oversize bars (fatbars, Protapers, Tag et al) flex 6% LESS than 7/8" Renthal handlebars

Wow....I didn't know that. Whenever I ride my friends bike With the pro taper fat bars and land a jump, I swear they flex more than my renthal 7/8 bars....He also claims that he feels them flex more than the renthal 7/8 bars. I feel it in the whoops sections too. Maybe its in my head but the renthals feel rigid to me....maybe its a placebo effect because theres no crossbar?

• SND

Posted April 15, 2004 - 12:39 PM

It is actually true.
Because of the larger diameter...they flex less.

Imagine holding a 7/8" piece of PVC that is 8 feet long (at home depot for example). hold it in the middle, and the ends will probably touch the ground. Do the same with a 1 1/8" pvc tube...and the ends will not touch.

Renthal 7/8" bars flex 300% more than stock steel bars
1 1/8" braceless aluminum bars flex 6% less than that, and BRACED 1 1/8" bars (tag/azonic/renthal twinwall) flex 7% less than the unbraced version.

again...with a field of difference being 300% between renthal 7/8 and stock steel...6% isn't much, but the fact is that the Renthal 7/8" bar flexes more. We've done extensive test after extensive test and the results are always the same. :)

• Fathom

Posted April 15, 2004 - 01:20 PM

It is actually true.
Because of the larger diameter...they flex less.

Imagine holding a 7/8" piece of PVC that is 8 feet long (at home depot for example). hold it in the middle, and the ends will probably touch the ground. Do the same with a 1 1/8" pvc tube...and the ends will not touch.

Renthal 7/8" bars flex 300% more than stock steel bars
1 1/8" braceless aluminum bars flex 6% less than that, and BRACED 1 1/8" bars (tag/azonic/renthal twinwall) flex 7% less than the unbraced version.

again...with a field of difference being 300% between renthal 7/8 and stock steel...6% isn't much, but the fact is that the Renthal 7/8" bar flexes more. We've done extensive test after extensive test and the results are always the same. :)

It's all good but for me, being the spode I am, I'll just stay with the Pro Tapers. As much I used to crash when I forst started, I never bent that first bar. And I've had some pretty gnarly get-offs. I saw the bike last week. Still has the same set of bars on it. Thos things are incrdiably tough.

• Yamahopper

Posted April 16, 2004 - 11:00 AM

Bent my Pro Tapers last weekend. Bike tumbled pretty hard. Bent the left grip down about 4 inches. I was suprised that it actually bent. I put an order in for a new set of PT's with the YZ high bend.

• Satch0922

Posted April 17, 2004 - 03:15 AM

Flyingguitars...I am right there with you. I have never had Protapers and now I am changing my top clamp and going that direction. I think I am going to try the Windham bend as they are a little taller. Let me know if you already have yours and what you think. I have a while before I need to get mine....5 more weeks with a broken collar bone! OUCH

• flyinguitars

Posted April 19, 2004 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
I ended up trying out the new Pro Taper SE bars (SE=7/8"). I was leaning toward the pastrana high bend protapers....I stopped at my local dealer on the way to the track on fri. and they had just recieved the new protaper se bars. They had the Reed/Henry bend in black for 70.00. I thought about it and since im already set up with the bar risers for 7/8" bars and I needed something right away, I bought them. Installed them at the track and I like them. They really dont feel that much different than the button bend renthals that I was using. I'll post a pic as soon as I can upload one. Besides feeling good, I think they have a cool look.
Thanks again,
Mike

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.