Anyone been to Steel City?

7 replies to this topic
  • javelinmxer

Posted May 07, 2002 - 04:34 PM

I'm racing there this Sunday and would like any input you guys have for gearing selection, suspension settings, tires, and what to expect for the layout. Thanks.

• skiv426

Posted May 07, 2002 - 05:56 PM

I live about a half hour from steel city track ( I have raced there twice last year). It is a fast track with alot of nice big jumps. After a few laps the dirt becomes really hard pack ( great for big blue)! I was going to race there sunday but I will be out of town so let us know how you finish and how you liked the track.

• IBWFO

Posted May 07, 2002 - 06:07 PM

I would go with an int tire. Tacky in the am and gets hard in the afternoon. Some big air and some hellacious braking bumps. Super track and one of the best tracks for spectators on the National circuit.

D

• Kermit

Posted May 07, 2002 - 08:21 PM

That's in Delmont..right? At the time there was a body shop with a blue Volkswagon bug with two front ends welded together up on a pole just beyond the road to the track, is it still there? I grew up in Greensburg. It has been 10 years since I was there so I am no help for setup...just brought back some memories. Use to fool around with one of the flag girls...ahhh... those flag girls.... good times, we use to party hard when the pros came to town. Now I am here ripping it up in Arizona. We have it all here, wide open desert, dunes, single track, beach/Mexico is 4 hours away, just no damn water! Good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • javelinmxer

Posted May 08, 2002 - 05:14 PM

Skiv24, I'm staying in Pittsburgh the night before, could possibly give me some directions to get there. I really appreciate the info. Thanks again.

• skiv426

Posted May 08, 2002 - 06:42 PM

Where are you staying? And yes the blue volkswagen is still on the pole!!

• Fireball

Posted May 09, 2002 - 04:50 PM

went there for the National last September. we ran a michelin MH2 and it did great. the track ruts up, gets hard, and braking bumps galore. it's very nice place. easy to spectate. pick a line going into a corner & ride it like ya are on rails & you'll do good. can't wait till Labor Day to go back. 14 hours one way was the only bad part. left Sunday at 6pm after the race... only stopped for gas... pulled in the driveway in Georgia at 8am Monday. Flea woke up... looked around and said "hey, we're home". smacked him as i headed for bed :)

• Kermit

Posted May 09, 2002 - 05:19 PM

I can't believe that damn volkswagen is STILL there!

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.