Carburetor Jet Advice Please

4 replies to this topic
  • RWilson

Posted April 11, 2004 - 07:01 PM

I have 2002 xr650r with the factory installed HCR uncorked kit. I don't think the jetting is right for my altitude so... what do you suggest? My home start is at 4750 feet elevation and includes both slow and high speed riding. 90% of my riding is between 4750 and 6000 feet but...when the snow melts I can go as high as 10,000 feet. (This is a new bike with about 1100 miles on it.)

Main jet?
Pilot jet?
Needle clip position?

Thanks a bunch!

• CharlesD

Posted April 12, 2004 - 02:26 PM

check out this page it should answer most of your questions
i am still messing around with my jetting also :) i live at 7000ft so i know what you are talking about. good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RWilson

Posted April 12, 2004 - 03:44 PM

Thanks, that helps tremendously! Now I feel great about how the pig runs because a typical "one tank" ride may vary over 5000 feet in elevation and easily 40-50 degrees in temperature! Bring on the fuel injection!

• smashinz2002

Posted April 12, 2004 - 06:29 PM

Hey man! I ride in Colorado regularly in the summer from 7000' to 13k, and I run a 160 main, needle either in the middle or 4th position, and she runs great up there.(bike is uncorked). Doesnt overheat even at slow, very steep and rocky climbs. doesnt sputter either. works good.
Sorry forgot to answer the other question. A 165 works great from 4 to 7k, with the competition needle installed and set to the middle position (#3). stock pilot. Bike should be properly uncorked airbox, intake and exhaust.
The bike will of course be a lot slower than it would be with 175 jetting below 1000'.

• CharlesD

Posted April 13, 2004 - 04:25 AM

Yea I have been thinking of fuel injection too , anyone know if there is a aftermarket setup yet? seems like there would be a market if it was done right. i ride from 4500ft (moab) to 13000ft so it would come in handy :D nothing like Colorado ! gatta love those mountains. hmm maybe a turbo :)

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.