whats the grey wire do

Hi all I just sined up for this forum and just bout a 02 wr 426 new from a deler. I am very satifed with it even thou my old XR 250 that i traded for it would hang whith it and my old KTM 350 exc would walk all over it. The way I got it, it was so corked up it woudn't out run my nabor's 400ex. Any way my quston is what exsactly does the gray wire mod do.Dose it make the ign. timing curv the same as the yzf? So far i've cut the throtel stop screw down to yz spek, removed the air box cork and exhust defuser or cork. I have not done the cam timing mod or grey wire becaus i am afraid this will make the power un controlabe for tite woods riding like it was on that old ktm desert sled. I havent got the jetting rite yet but im working on it.

I just bought an 02 426 as well, brand new. I still own an 00 yz426. The stock WR is severely limited compared to a YZ. Noise regs really cut it down. However, it can be made to run like a YZ for free! The throttle stop is the first thing to fix, the second is pull the airbox cover, and the third is the gray wire removal. Do them in that order and you can feel what each mod will do. I have a GYTR insert replacing the stock cork and have done all the above. The gray wire will make all the difference, but only if you have done all 3 mods. You get very nearly all the YZ power, without the massive hit(WR will still power wheelie in 3rd and 4th)but...and heres the beauty of the whole thing. The sound is very quiet compared to the YZ.

What more could you ask for?

• 2 months later...

whats up with the throtle stop I took my carb off to find the stupid thing and there was nothing there. I heard it was in the top of the slide, but all i could see was the hex head bolt for the needle. I opened the throt up a far as it would go and it is resessed into the top of the carb leaving no restriction in air flow. any suggestions.