Whats the best oil?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Synthetic is by far the best oil to run. Advantages are, less wear, less friction, no sludge, better heat resistance, better start up lubrication, etc etc. Dont listen to guys that are incapable of accepting anything new and tell you not to run it. I have used synthetic in all types of engines, new and old. I switch to synthetic as soon as I get any vehicle, with great results. A jet engine costs about 5 million bucks and runs about 6000 hours between overhauls using synthethic oil, the airlines wouldnt not even think of using regular oil in these engines to save a few bucks. Nuff said ?

"NO FEAR" If you have no fear, you didnt go as fast as you could have ...

Synthetic is by far the best oil to run. Advantages are, less wear, less friction, no sludge, better heat resistance, better start up lubrication, etc etc. Dont listen to guys that are incapable of accepting anything new and tell you not to run it. I have used synthetic in all types of engines, new and old. I switch to synthetic as soon as I get any vehicle, with great results. A jet engine costs about 5 million bucks and runs about 6000 hours between overhauls using synthethic oil, the airlines wouldnt not even think of using regular oil in these engines to save a few bucks. Nuff said ?

"NO FEAR" If you have no fear, you didnt go as fast as you could have ...

Not to mention in helping to keep an air cooled engine cooler. ?

Mobil 1 15W-50 "red cap," full synthetic, bay-bee. My air-cooled XRL doesn't burn hardly any. Stuff never gets cooked no matter how hot it is outside or how hot the bike gets. No friction modifiers either so its fine for wet clutches. This sh_t is outstanding. ?

I ran Mobil 1 after initial oil change/bike break in. The next oil change I was out of the mobil 1 and used mobil conventional 10w40 non energy conserving. After 1 ride teh clutch started slipping and I thought it was a clutch asdjustemnt issue and adjusted it and it helped a bit but not much. Rode it 2 more times for a total of about 150 miles on the conventional oil. The clutch was unbearable and I figured it had to be the oil since the cluthc could hnot ahve that much wear with only 1000 or so miles on the bike. I drained the oil and it was BLACK and burnt to crap. I flushed it out and filled with Mobil 1 15w50...no more slipping even with me and the ol lady on it and I can go another 500 miles and not worry about it. I was in pismo this weekend and with a dirt tire with 20 psi I was able to tool around in the dunes with my lady on the back and still had no clutch issues, no matter how hard I rev'd and slipped the clutch. If that is not a severe test....I dunno what is. Synthetic is the only way to go.

I use Mobil 1 15W-50 "red cap" in all of my vehicles:

91 Honda Civic 4WD wagon 185K mi.

93 Subaru Legacy Wagon 89K mi.

93 Ford E350 cargo van 185k mi.

98 Moto Guzzi Centauro 10k mi.

00 KTM 660 Rally 3k mi.

00 Honda XR650R 3k mi.

01 Yamaha WR250F 2k mi.

02 KTM LC4 Adv. 12k mi.

02 BMW R1150RS 26k mi.

None of my vehicles have ever had engine problems.

I shop for Mobil 1 at Walmart, $22.00 per 5 qt. jug. I usually empty out the whole shelf at the store. ?

Heres the deal. Run Mobil 1 MX4T 10w/40. Period.

No if's and's or but's. I've been using their oil since the 80's in all my vehicles, no prob- 300k on my truck, 10k on my last bike, no signs of wear. The best.

I ran the 15w/50 red cap before the MX4T came out, good stuff, but why scrimp?

I'll put a vote in here for Amsoil i run it in everything i own at this point. and you can order if from there webpage if there is not local place to buy. 2nd choice would prob be redline and then Mobil 1. i would deff go with a good quality synthetic. keep in mind that just cuz it says synthetic doesnt mean it is. go figure.

charles

You can run full synthetic no matter what you ran in the past. You will just have a lot less wear and friction from the time you start running synthetic. Even if your engine is half worn out, it would make more sense to protect it from that point on than wearing it out the rest of the way by using cheap old fashioned oil.

"NO FEAR" If you have no fear, you didnt go as fast as you could have...

I run Mobil Delvac 1 with excellent results. Amsoil is another fine product and there's many more fine products to choose from in both petroleum, semi & full synthetic varieties. Prior to running Delvac 1, I ran Chevron Delo 400 15W40 with very good results for many years and my wear numbers based on oil analysis are not much better with a full synthetic than with the dino based Delo 400 I was running.

The additive package is what's key for our bikes when it comes to wear. A good petroleum based oil with a heavy duty additive package is better in our bikes than the best synthetic oil with a light duty additive package. A good synthetic base oil with a HD additive package is even better, especially when it comes to extending drain intervals. Once the oil film shears (whether synthetic or not) and it will shear down much quicker in our bikes, then the barrier package comes into play which is ultra important to the life of our engines/gearboxes. Changing the oil often enough if another key, especially if the bike is used off road.