Jetting For High Altitude

5 replies to this topic
  • Ranger_426F

Posted May 06, 2002 - 03:05 PM

Just wanted some input from you guys. I have a trip planned in UTAH in about a week and was wondering if the stock jetting is going to give me any trouble. I have had my bike for a little over a month and ride 1-2 times a week absoulutly no problems at all. The ALT here is about 500-1000feet where i ride but in Utah will be between 4000-5000. ? how would you set up for that ALT from stock jetting. Like I said with the exception of some minor suspension adjustments the bike is the same as it rolled of the floor.

• T-Gore

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:23 PM

I've taken a 98 & 99 YZF400 to Colorado & ridden at elevation of 8,000 to 11,000 ft with no problems using stock jetting. I would leave it as-is.

• Ranger_426F

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:28 PM

Thanks just didn't want a poor running 426 to ruin the fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racemile

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:29 PM

I would take a strong look at re-jetting for high altitude, while your bike will run, it may not run as well as it should. If you leave the jetting stock, carry extra plugs and get fast at changning them, especially if you are going to be riding tight woods.

just my .02

P.S. do a search on high altitude jetting and you can watch the pain I went through.

• Hick

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:55 PM

Stock jetting will be passable, but it will run much better with leaner settings, particularly at this time of year.

The biggest difference will be clip position and pilot jet. One leaner on each should be very close at that altitude. The clip pos. you will notice much more, it affects a wide range of throttle. The pilot you will mostly notice at lower rpms and throttle response off of idle, plus it may prove more difficult to start w/ the stock 42, particularly after a stall.

I also ride at 4k to 5k or so and in a similar climate most of the time, so here is my jetting on my ’01 w/ stock motor:

160 main
40 pilot
EKQ needle, # 3 (stock is EJP, so I’m 1.5 clips leaner than stock)
80 pilot air jet
1.5 turns on idle mix

BTW stock jetting on a YZ 400 is much different than any model 426, not to mention the extra 26 ccs.

Hope this helps.

• Merfman

Posted May 07, 2002 - 03:22 AM

A good rule of thumb is to go 10% leaner, between sea level and 6K' anyway..

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.