First performance thump (big pics)

11 replies to this topic
  • bushy

Posted April 10, 2004 - 01:45 PM

Bought the bike for $1500 back in decemeber, it had all new motor work totalling $2600 bucks about a year ago. Wasn't ridden since june. $250 bucks for graphics and plastics and it was golden :) :D

Posted Image
Posted Image

By the way I'm only 14 and I do alot of the work on my bike by myself. Not bad eh?

• DPW

Posted April 10, 2004 - 01:51 PM

Nice looking bike. I had a YZ400F too at one time, good fun bikes. :)

• lacofdfireman

Posted April 10, 2004 - 06:10 PM

Bike looks great. I love my 99 YZ 400. It has been a pleasure to ride. It was also my first performance Thumper. Have fun. :)

• revolucien

Posted April 11, 2004 - 06:46 AM

looks cool... how does it run now? did you do a lot of the mods they list on this site?

• bushy

Posted April 11, 2004 - 08:13 AM

Runs like a dream, and I have done the taffy mod. I would like to do the 03 cam mod but my dad is sorta sketchy on it becuase he says this motor is more complicated than some car motors he's worked on! Plus everything is so close together, all packed in tight. The only problems I have with this bike is stuff keeps breaking on it, mostly becuase of the bozo before me you kept almost all the stock parts on since 1999 when he bought it new! I dont think he's heard of a term like "wear limit." I love this bike so much, I can walk up any hill I want to. I'm probally gonna set it up for woods exclusively, and race HS with it! TT is the best place ever and has taught me tons of stuff about my bike. I dont know where i'd be without it, but if I had to guess probally with a serverly damaged bike :)

By the way anyone want to trade my FMF Q for a pipe thats louder? The Q is beat up but still would work if you live in an area that has sound restrictions. The spark arrestor has been removed on this for some reason. I really have no need for it.

• OC768

Posted April 11, 2004 - 10:08 AM

By the way anyone want to trade my FMF Q for a pipe thats louder? The Q is beat up but still would work if you live in an area that has sound restrictions. The spark arrestor has been removed on this for some reason. I really have no need for it.

It might be cool having a louder slightly powerful bike, but often times that hurts more then it helps. My advice would be to repack the Q and put that s/a back in it, specially if you are serious on the hare scrambles thing.

Not climbing on your case here, I've just seen a few places around here shut down for such reasons, and if you already have a Q pipe on your bike, may as well make the best use of it as possible.

Then again, if that Q has been on it since it was new, you're probably running an empty canister anyhow...and to make it "q" again would be a repack, thus you probably already have your louder pipe.

:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bushy

Posted April 11, 2004 - 10:51 AM

It might be cool having a louder slightly powerful bike, but often times that hurts more then it helps. My advice would be to repack the Q and put that s/a back in it, specially if you are serious on the hare scrambles thing.

Not climbing on your case here, I've just seen a few places around here shut down for such reasons, and if you already have a Q pipe on your bike, may as well make the best use of it as possible.

Then again, if that Q has been on it since it was new, you're probably running an empty canister anyhow...and to make it "q" again would be a repack, thus you probably already have your louder pipe.

:D

Now that I think of it, you cannot be any more true. :D

If I wanted to replace the emblem on the can is it hard to get those little rivet things out and back in? The can is missing a bunch of packing, I removed the end cap and took a peek when I had to replace the bolts that were missing on the silencer. This is how bad the bike was cared for. He let the endcap vibrate so much that the loose bolts carved holes into the metal of the can, almost reaching the end and falling out. I'll probally buy a repack, new endcap, and emblem in around 4 weeks when I get enough money to order a new rear tire. Being a kid its hard to distribute 10 bucks a week to oil, gas, and parts. :)

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 11, 2004 - 12:41 PM

You can get the rivets out with a grinder (dremmel, etc..), or a drill or something similar. The old ones are not reuseable. You can either put back self tapping screws of the appropriate size (see your local hardware store), or you can get a rivet gun and some rivets and put rivets back in. Check your local hardware store or home depot, etc.. for the rivet gun and rivets, should not be very expensive. Good luck with the new ride, and ride safe!

• Scott_321

Posted April 11, 2004 - 12:41 PM

Bushy you sound like a good kid. Your bike looks great. Have fun on that thing and don't get hurt. Here is a link to some of your repacking questions.

http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_faqs.asp

• bushy

Posted April 11, 2004 - 01:31 PM

Bushy you sound like a good kid. Your bike looks great. Have fun on that thing and don't get hurt. Here is a link to some of your repacking questions.

http://www.fmfracing.com/tech_faqs.asp

Thanks alot! First person to ever tell me that on these forums! :). I do have alot of fun, showing all the rich snots in my town that you dont need a brand new bike to look or perform good. Of course they still waste their money on new ttr 125's and the like.

You can get the rivets out with a grinder (dremmel, etc..), or a drill or something similar. The old ones are not reuseable. You can either put back self tapping screws of the appropriate size (see your local hardware store), or you can get a rivet gun and some rivets and put rivets back in. Check your local hardware store or home depot, etc.. for the rivet gun and rivets, should not be very expensive. Good luck with the new ride, and ride safe!

The past few months have made me very familar with the nuts and bolts asile in the hardware store! :D Thanks for the tip on reinstalling the rivets!

I almost forgot, Happy Easter TT!

• OC768

Posted April 11, 2004 - 07:38 PM

Thanks alot! First person to ever tell me that on these forums!

Ill be the second, as most kids (let alone many adults I see) could care less about doing the right thing when it comes to sound, good to see :D

10$ a week is tough, I remember how far it went many years ago on a mini-trail 50 and it wasn't alot then either :D.

If you need any small stuff it wouldn't hurt to ask, there might be someone on here that is about to throw away that part you need, ya never know...maybe an old WR400 silencer or the like might be easier/cheaper? :)

• bushy

Posted April 12, 2004 - 09:14 AM

Thanks alot guys, nice community here! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.