Why is my new bike cutting out?

8 replies to this topic
  • Ben_Gray

Posted May 06, 2002 - 08:59 AM

I just got a new 426 a few months ago and I love it. I went to saddle back yesterday and it started to cut out when I was at idle and just getting on the gas. It felt like it wasn't getting any gas. It was the second ride on a new air filter. I havn't cleaned my oil fiter yet. Could that have something to do with it? I havn't cleaned\changed the fuel filter either. Any ideas?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:03 PM

Yes dirty air filters can cause alot of headaches
Oil filters Noway but you should change it and the oil
Fuel filter inless ya sucked dirt in it noway

Jetting yes, the heat of the day yes

To many variables to determine the cause.

Give the bike a maintainence run down, Oil Change / Oil Filter change, air filter douch and clean.....Plug change

• Ben_Gray

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:09 PM

Thanks. One thing I forgot to mention is that it only did it for the first 10-15 minutes of the ride.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:11 PM

Then maybe just maybe some dirt was in the carb.

Is it doing it now ?

Or when its cold

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ben_Gray

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:16 PM

It does it when it is cold. After I let it sit for a while and rode it again it was doing the same thing. When I hit a burm and let the rpms drop then gas it out it would sputter and jump a few time before it really took off. It has never done that before yesterday.

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:24 PM

do a thorough maint clean by the manual.

Also take a look at some of the threads do a search on BKmod and see what you think.

1: the bike is cold it will act a little grumpy until operating temp
2: the bog you describe is a problem that the BKmod fixes
3: Welcom to Thumperdom

• Ben_Gray

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for your help. I'll do that.

• sirthumpalot

Posted May 06, 2002 - 10:36 AM

If it was OK before then there is no need for any mods. I suspect some dirt or goo in the carb. This happend to me just 2 weeks ago. It started running really bad at and just above idle (almost die) and would cut out if I whacked it open. Lots of popping and burbling at smaller throttle openings. It never did this before so I immediately suspected goo in the carb. I took it apart and cleaned it and the problem is gone. I would recommend starting by cleaning everything out. Too much oil on the air filter can cause a problem if the oil gets sucked into the smaller passages in the carb. If it's an '01 or '02 then you should not have a bogging problem with the stock jetting unless you're at an unusual temp or elevation.

Also if you have some hours on it and have never cleaned or changed the oil filter then I suggest that you do it asap! When new these things typically leave a good bit of metal in the filter and you don't want that clogging your filter if you haven't cleaned it out yet.

• Ben_Gray

Posted May 06, 2002 - 10:56 AM

From the way to describe it that is the same problem I have. I will give everything a good cleaning. It is a little scary when you are about to hit a jump and bike doen't want to move. Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.