Fork oil level?

4 replies to this topic
  • bbeakley

Posted May 06, 2002 - 07:07 AM

The manual has a diagram in it that doesn't match what I was looking at this weekend for fork oil level check/setting. The spring guide and damper rod shown in the picture stuck out above the upper fork tube. With the damper rod and spring guide pushed all the way in (compressed) the top of the damper rod was roughly flush with the top of the outer fork tube and the spring guide was recessed an inch or so. So what I'm wondering is: are you supposed to lift the damper rod and spring guide a little to set the level or is the diagram misleading? I set the height to 120mm with the rod and guide all the way down. When I lifted the rod and guide, the level dropped to about 150mm or so. I'm concerned I don't have enough oil in the forks now (although I'll complain a lot if you have to lift that rod to set the level...).

• aag800

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:38 PM

You did it right :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fireball

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:56 PM

now put a zip tie tightly around your bottom slider about 4" from the bottom & go ride. The forks will push it down & you can see how much travel you are using. Since these are bumper forks, you want the zip tie about an inch from the bottom. Any further down and you will be into the bumpers and will feel it bottoming. If you are more than an inch from the bottom, your oil level is too high and you are not using all of the stroke. If you set the oil level at 120mm from the top and the zip tie is 2 inches from bottom, try 125mm from top & ride again and see where it's at. It's ok to bottom occationally off something big... just not all the time. But... you do wanna use all the travel ya can. Test my man... test!

• G-Man

Posted May 06, 2002 - 11:29 PM

Hmmmm so this explains why my zip-ty is an inch from the bottom.

I set mine at 90mm and was beginning to think I put in too much, I weigh 165.

I do have a question about the long skinny tube that goes in the dampner rod. Do you measure the level with it in or out? The manual does not make this clear?

• bbeakley

Posted May 07, 2002 - 03:54 AM

I filled mine with the rod out, but when I put it in, I didn't see a measureable increase in fluid level. If it changes the level at all, I doubt the average rider would feel the difference.

One note, I also didn't fill the tube the rod goes into, I poured around the outside of it.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.