Supermotard?????

8 replies to this topic
  • J_T

Posted April 09, 2004 - 08:42 PM

Hey All, This is geared to all of you that have made your XR650R's into Supermotards or those that ride street bikes and XR650R's and could compare. What sort of performance comparison would the BRP have to some sport bikes, touring? etc...? I don't think I am going to convert mine b/c I can only afford one so dirt is where I'm staying right now but times can always change and if I get into a position again where I can't dirt ride I may have to consider it. I see and hear about it so much that I am wondering what sort of performance someone can expect?

Also what constitutes a supermotard? I imagine for me I could change the gearing, cut holes in the air box, and put in a stage 2 cam and some Dot tires, would that suffice or would you have to go USD forks, smaller wider rims for better tires?

Well curiosity got the best of me and I have to see what its all about! A buddy is getting a VFR 750 and wants me to get a street bike also but I can't afford another bike at this point! Would an XR650R, with stage 2 cam, 15/47 gearing, Edelbrock QS carb, and holes in Air box be able to take it? What could it take :) ?

• XRMANU

Posted April 09, 2004 - 10:50 PM

My XR650 is a SM ,2 17" SM wheels with sticky tyres,a Motomaster street kit(frontbrake) ,15/42 till 45 gearing and you're done :)
Chech your oil more when you ride hard on the pavement.

On twisty roads few can beat a SM ...
SERIOUS fun :D

• scorch

Posted April 10, 2004 - 12:17 PM

Honestly, supermotard is losing its novelty. If you want to ride the pig on the street. Just get some good dual sport ires. They will stick.

Most people riding supermotos are just a bunch of posers anyway.

Ahah, I wish I could afford those frigin wheels and brakes LOL

• steve_f

Posted April 12, 2004 - 10:51 AM

Honestly, supermotard is losing its novelty. If you want to ride the pig on the street. Just get some good dual sport ires. They will stick.

Most people riding supermotos are just a bunch of posers anyway.

Ahah, I wish I could afford those frigin wheels and brakes LOL

Novelty.....Ha! Here's a pic of me spanking the sportbikes at the local trackday. And it was the first time out for this ole BRP :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted May 25, 2004 - 07:32 AM

I found this picture on a web link from e-bay. The guy is selling his stock wheels.

This is one sweet bike I had to share. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

• sm650r

Posted May 26, 2004 - 10:00 PM

sm are a ton of fun all you really have to have is the 17;s
you could even lace them to your stock hubs for 500 bucks.on the street you will be as fast as you want sport bikes cant keep up these things are very fast.only in the straight lines they will get ya

here is mine i have a lit more than rims though

Posted Image

• DwD

Posted May 26, 2004 - 11:11 PM

I run the xr650r as supermotard(have run about 8500km supermotard on the xr650r), and i must say i love it! :lol:
top speed is to forget, i only run it about 130km/h and that is with 15/41 or 15/45 when i want to have some more fun. i had a VFR800VTEC 2002 and i changed to an XR650r supermotard and i dont regret it!.
the power and torque that is in the x650r is enough to kickass on the sportbikes when the speed is less than 130km/h,

best of all, i only need to change tyres when i want to have some fun in the woods

the only time i regret that i change to an xr650r supermotard is on the highway, but i soon forget it when i come to the turnoff/exit of the highway, then it kicksass again!!!! :awww: :thumbsup:

the grip on the xr650r with supermotard tyres is amazing,
i had a favorite curv that i liked to run fast with my vfr800VTEC. i could runt it at max 60km/h, but with the xr650r i can run it about 80km/h with one hand in the air! :lol:

• cat0020

Posted May 27, 2004 - 07:25 AM

I think 17" wheels are crutial, the USD Ohlins that I put on my XR was from a Cannondale, re-valved and springed for motard.

I don't have my 17" wheels yet, but soon.

The 21" front wheel just don't have enough stength to stop the bike without breaking spokes. I will probably keep the rear wheel at 18" and just get wider and smooth rear tire.
Currently mine is setup with 13/51 gearing, and I could still keep up with some sport bike and just wheelie like mad. I will probably change the gear to 14/46 or 44.
Poser or not, I like to be able to scare little kids on my block when my bike slides sideways coming around the bend, the parents think it's good entertainment, too. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

• steve_f

Posted June 01, 2004 - 08:20 AM

the USD Ohlins that I put on my XR was from a Cannondale

How did the wheel fit in the Ohlins forks? Spacers, axle dia. etc,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  141 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.