kill switch problem?

5 replies to this topic
  • Hay_Bush

Posted May 05, 2002 - 11:54 AM

I recently bought a 01 426 and my kill switch doesn't work, I took the switch apart and it seems to be making contact. Has anybody had this problem ? or know what the problem is and how to fix it?

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 05, 2002 - 12:34 PM

How do you know its working if the Kill Switch does not kill the Bike ?

What and how did you confirm its working ?
Just trying to understand why its not working

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• yamaha.dude

Posted May 05, 2002 - 01:47 PM

The Kill Switch is a simple mechanism - it simply grounds a signal from the CDI when pressed. You are dealing with the Black & white wire running parallel to the grey wire, and that grounds out via the black return wire from the kill switch.

Take the wire off the switch - and with the bike running, touch it to the bars, or some other ground. it should work, and if it does, it is the actual switch mechanism at fault.

If it still doesn't work, then you have a broken wire problem, and you need to check the continuity of the wire back to the CDI... You can trace the wire back and see that it has not come out of it's connector, or gotten broken when you put the tank or something on.

Did you do the grey wire mod? the B & W wire (or it's connector) may be damaged...

HTH

David

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MAD_POTTER

Posted May 05, 2002 - 04:25 PM

Pull your tank, follow the wire down and check the connection on the left side of the frame. Mine has come apart twice now. I Think that there was not enough slack in the wire so when the bars were turned all the way it pulled the connection apart. Hopefully thats whats wrong with yours.
KC

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 05, 2002 - 05:04 PM

I just pulled my bikes apart to clean and do the blue wire mod.
My kill switch has been working intermitent for about 3 months and just thot I had a bad switch.
I noticed that the connector on the left side ot the frame was in the connector but loose and still looked good until i pulled on it.
I would bet on that one! :)

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted May 05, 2002 - 06:09 PM

I just pulled my bikes apart to clean and do the blue wire mod.
My kill switch has been working intermitent for about 3 months and just thot I had a bad switch.
I noticed that the connector on the left side ot the frame was in the connector but loose and still looked good until i pulled on it.
I would bet on that one! :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.