YZ450F Vs. CRF450

28 replies to this topic
  • Matt687

Posted April 09, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Can anyone tell me which of the 2 bikes is better, I like the YZ450F, but when I get a MX bike I would like to have the best, so I am also considering the CRF450. Which should I do with? -Matt

• endurodog

Posted April 09, 2004 - 08:50 AM

This has been argued in great detail. The YZ owners will say YZ the CRF owners will say CRF. They are both great bikes and way better for MX than your XR. In the end look for the best dealer and go that way.

• Matt687

Posted April 09, 2004 - 09:02 AM

I know that either bike would be better for MX than my XR, but you'd be surprised what I can do on my XR600. On the tracks I have dusted plenty of CRFs, YZFs, even a bunch of two smokes. I also jump higher than most of the peolpe I see. -Matt

• Unibomber

Posted April 09, 2004 - 09:45 AM

In that case you may want to try out for the Out Door nationals since your too late for the '04 supercross season. If you find yourself jumpin higher than Stewart and Reed, your in good shape and should pick up some sponsors pretty quickly. :D

On the serious side, do a search on your exact post CRF v. YZF and you will find enough crap to keep you readin for months. :)

They are both awesome machines that have thier good and bad points. Im partial to blue myself as it matches one of my vehicles. :D

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 09, 2004 - 10:17 AM

....I have dusted plenty of CRFs, YZFs, even a bunch of two smokes. ...

I thought if you dusted some 4-strokes that dusting the 2-strokes was a given! :)

• leif

Posted April 09, 2004 - 01:05 PM

Go to a local track and ask to ride someone's. Sometimes they will let you, and sometimes not. See if some of the dealers have a demo that they have been riding. But please dont buy one or the other without riding both, then claim it is the best bike in the world. Both are great.

• revolucien

Posted April 09, 2004 - 02:11 PM

definitely ride both and pick the more comfortable one to you. unless your racing as a pro the differences in performance are very small

• endurodog

Posted April 09, 2004 - 02:38 PM

but you'd be surprised what I can do on my XR600. On the tracks I have dusted plenty of CRFs, YZFs, even a bunch of two smokes. I also jump higher than most of the peolpe I see. -Matt

No doubt that your faster than plenty of CRF's and YZF's on your XR, just think how much faster you would be on a bike that is way better than the XR. Your bound for the Nationals for sure if you get either one. :)

• Joe_Jet

Posted April 09, 2004 - 05:45 PM

I had an 03 YZ450 and had to sell it for financial reasons. I loved the bike. When I was able to buy another bike I tried out the CRF 450. It was a good bike, it looked nice, but didn't have the power, handling or suspension of the YZ. I ditched the CRF 450 and bought a CRF 250R in search of lighter weight and better handling. I now have that bike for sale and have bought another YZ450F. If you want the most potent, full-on race bike get the YZ450F!

Hope that helps,

Joe :)

• Flattracker60

Posted April 10, 2004 - 06:47 AM

"full on race bike"? :) Do you work for Motocross Action?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RCannon

Posted April 10, 2004 - 07:23 AM

I think you should skip them both and get the ultimate mx bike...The XR 600. Gees...give me a break.
Nothing quite like the feel of a 286 lb bike.

• DPW

Posted April 10, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Try this SEARCH

• aford541

Posted April 10, 2004 - 07:36 PM

I rode the 04 Honda it was killer motor was a little soft for my 235 lb rear end it turned on a dime but it felt like an 80 the bike just felt small, The yammie has the motor from hell and goes straight real good thats why I bought it.

• mikev7

Posted April 10, 2004 - 09:39 PM

"full on race bike"? :) Do you work for Motocross Action?

Just curious, why did you laugh at him saying the yamaha is a full on racebike?

• Flattracker60

Posted April 11, 2004 - 02:30 AM

Because that makes it sound like the Honda isn't! I know what they(the MXA writers) mean when they say that, I'm just sick of hearing it. They mean the Yamaha is more explosive, and the Honda has a softer, friendlier(if that's a word) motor. The rider makes a bike "full on race", the bike doesn't make a rider that :)

• mikev7

Posted April 11, 2004 - 02:32 PM

I've owned a 2002 xr200r, and a 2000 yz 426. The xr aint no full on racer by FAR but i have owned both yamaha and honda. And i gotta say it's not the bike, it's the rider. I would go with either bike, both have their string and weak points. But for engines yamaha has honda. And for frames and weight savings honda has yamaha.

• mikev7

Posted April 11, 2004 - 02:38 PM

In the last article i read comparing the 2 strokes they all chose honda "2" strokes 1st, yamaha 2nd, i think suzuki 3rd and kawasaki 4th. But thats 2 strokers. Yamaha 4's have a 5 titanium valved engine and that makes for more explosive power that i love to ride on. I find myself in a lotta tight situations on that bike cause of the powerband. Anyone got a comparison chart for the yz and crf 450 that they could post up here?

• Wyatt

Posted April 11, 2004 - 04:57 PM

And for frames and weight savings honda has yamaha.

:D :)

The YZF weighs less than the CRF.

• Fathom

Posted April 12, 2004 - 02:32 AM

By what, a pound?

• Flattracker60

Posted April 12, 2004 - 02:36 AM

I think Mike V is drunk :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.