426 Question

7 replies to this topic
  • Donk

Posted May 05, 2002 - 06:44 AM

I read an artlicle in a magazine and it was about Tim Ferry's Yz426F. It said that he blocked out the 4th and 5th gears because he didn't use them for supercross. Does that increase the power for the first 3 gears then? Why would you block the gears if it doesn't?

• GYT-Rider

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:25 AM

I've been told that they block off 4th and 5th gear because they are made of plastic. This is done to save weight. The gears have to be there according to AMA rules, but you don't have to use them, so they make them out of plastic and block them off. He only use gear 1 to 3 when racing supercross.

• Donk

Posted May 05, 2002 - 03:23 PM

So that doesn't add power to the 1-3 gears then?

• bullitboy

Posted May 05, 2002 - 03:43 PM

You won't get extra power by removing twogears. Ferry just doesn't use them racing Supercross and the plastic gears save him weight and allows him to meet AMA rules.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted May 05, 2002 - 05:05 PM

Ferry has custom gearing. I doubt the AMA has any gearing requirements. If you had an automatic it would be ok if you were competitive. I also thionk what the article said was that 4th and 5th were blocked by a plastic bushing not gears. I could be mistaken on the last one. Do you use all the gears when you ride? My .02 :)

• az426

Posted May 05, 2002 - 05:59 PM

i would think the reason for the fake gears
would be two-fold.any weight they can save they
go for-it doesnt sacrafice any thing.the second
reason would be less reciprocating mass-it equals
less weight to spin therefore quicker accelleration.remember that this is yamahas race only bike,its only reason for existence is to race
at warp speed at the highest level.

• thumper4life

Posted May 05, 2002 - 06:25 PM

i've never gone past 4th on my local motocross track on a straight with stock gearing, i plan on moving up a few teeth in the back so i can run 2nd and 3rd more...so that will probably make me kick it up to 5th on that straight :)

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 06, 2002 - 11:26 AM

Thump4life, I did what your thinking about, and I was really surprized how much more rideable the bike became. I do hit 5th. from time to time, but not often.

I heard that Ferrys bike didnt use 4th and 5th ever. They just change the final drive for out door tracks.

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.