$29 697,59

14 replies to this topic
  • GYT-Rider

Posted May 04, 2002 - 06:32 AM

My bike is broken, so I can't go racing today. Just for fun I addet together what it would cost to by a YZ426F in parts. The grand total was $ 29 697,59. Kinda steep if you ask me. :)

• DethWshBkr

Posted May 04, 2002 - 06:56 AM

So buy 5 bikes, and strip them down. Then yours would be FIXED by now! Of course, you could alwyas just throw one away when it breaks and fire up one of the new beasties then!

Amazing the amount of money the companies must make on PARTS......, heck , they have to make the parts for thw whole bikes anyway...if they only cost 6000 ASSEMBLED, why not 4000 unassembled?!

• JohnnyG

Posted May 04, 2002 - 07:21 AM

I used to think motorcycle parts were high until I got a job in manufacturing.

Imagine doing a complete assembly line set up to make 1,000 parts or pay the interest to let $30M of replacement parts sit around for a few years. Both options are expensive and so are the replacement parts.

I used to do quotes in an automotive parts manufacturing plant. The original part may have cost $.10, but when you order 1% of the original order volume for replacement parts 5 years later, the manufacturing costs skyrocket. These costs are passed down the line to you.

I think the prices are a little high, but they are cheaper than me purchasing a lathe/mill to make my own.

• moto_madman

Posted May 04, 2002 - 07:26 AM

Thats a good idea. Why cant we buy bikes that are unassembled for a big price cut? I would be able to afford a new bike instead of wondering if something is gonna grenade every time i ride.

• Fireballsocal

Posted May 04, 2002 - 08:23 AM

I work for Toyota and parts are where automotive companies make their money. I'm sure it's the same for bikes. They sometimes can afford o take a hit on a vehicle like the prius cause they make the bulk of their money in parts. That's why every dealer you see has a parts counter and service bays.

• dirtdad

Posted May 04, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Fireballsocal:
That's why every dealer you see has a parts counter and service bays.

It's certainly not because they (dealerships) like helping people! :)

• GYT-Rider

Posted May 04, 2002 - 08:43 AM

Another useless fact: according to the parts cataloge I used the 426 has 1517 parts. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DethWshBkr

Posted May 04, 2002 - 10:13 AM

when companies make 'most of their money on parts' it really makes you wonder...is that why they make stuff cheaper and cheaper?? so it breaks sooner and more often, requiring you to buy the parts that make them lots of money??? :D :)

• DethWshBkr

Posted May 04, 2002 - 10:15 AM

Originally posted by GYT-Rider:
Another useless fact: according to the parts cataloge I used the 426 has 1517 parts. :)

does that include every bolt?? hard to believe you are riding around at up to 60 mph, going over 70' jumps, on a concoction of 1517 separate things, being held together by tiny bolts.

• GYT-Rider

Posted May 04, 2002 - 10:41 AM

Yes that's all the parts every nut, bolt and sticker. The most expensive part I could find wae the frame at $963,60, the cheapest the flat head screw holding the lid on the rear brake fluid reservoir at $0,10. Better not break that frame. :)

• DethWshBkr

Posted May 04, 2002 - 12:45 PM

dude, you have wayyyyyy too much time! lol. DEALER.....GET HIS BIKE DONE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!
:)

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted May 06, 2002 - 05:50 AM

I have a friend that is in the bearing wholesale business. I showed him the rear bearings I got for my real wheel that cost me 40 bucks, and he said they sell those exact bearings for around $1.15 per bearing to companys on bulk buys. The mark-up is huge. I bought a front sprocket for $14, a good price, he said he could probably get it for $0.47, but I would have to buck 500 of them.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 06, 2002 - 07:39 AM

Honestly, 47 cents? Sheesh, Ill buy 500 for 47 cents! Hey here's an announcement, Ive got counter shaft sprockets for 4 bucks! Stock size only, but hey they"re cheap, getem while they're hot!

Three rounds of this, and my profit buys me a new 03!

• John_Lorenz

Posted May 06, 2002 - 07:43 AM

for that kinda money you can get the frame only on MARK_UK's works bike Post :D

Man you are either not married or really really bored :)

• DethWshBkr

Posted May 06, 2002 - 09:06 PM

post something on TT for a front sprocket bulk buy!! You must buy 5 of em @ $1 each. If you can get 100 people, to buy 5, there is your 500, and you have a 53 cent profit on each!! thats 265 dollars you could make!!!!!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.