brakes, please help!!!

10 replies to this topic
  • Dansgarage

Posted May 03, 2002 - 05:00 PM

Ok heres my itch that I have to scratch. I have a friend that I ride with that has a crf and last time we went riding we traded bikes for about 10 min. or so. I love everything about the yamaha more except for one thing. THE BRAKES, mainly the front brakes. I want to get that kind of power feel and control. I try to do a front wheel stand and my tire is unpredictable, kicks out sideways and so do I. When I did it on his bike the thing was so controlable and predictable. went straight up and it was soo easy. I know that I need to change my brake line to honda routing and possible switch to honda pads but is that it. Will that get me the same feel? Can I buy a complete honda front brake assembly (lever, master cylinder, caliper, pads.) and just bolt it up to my bike, will every thing line up except for the for guard? Help me out guys, I have fallen in love and I have to get some! Thanks

• thumper4life

Posted May 03, 2002 - 05:23 PM

i want as much of a honda set up up front as i can get as well....what all will go and fit up there guys? :)

• therapture

Posted May 03, 2002 - 07:00 PM

All I did was:

1) add a braided steel brake line (the biggest thing!)
2) run Honda brake pads (yes they fit)
3) bleed carefully, add fresh fluid

Whammo, double your brakes and tons better feel...*almost* Honda like...the only thing to make it perfect would be the Honda master cylinder, it is made by Nissin, and the YZF is Aisin....the Nissin isbetter. Period.

• Dansgarage

Posted May 03, 2002 - 10:49 PM

I have a 2001 yzf and it already has a Nissin master cylinder on the front. Does the honda caliper make any difference? will it fit on my bike? Or since I already have the nissin up front will a new brake line (honda style) and honda brake pads do what I want?

• AZ918MAN

Posted May 04, 2002 - 08:10 PM

I routed my brake line honda style, Run honda pads, and put an oversized wave rotor on my bike, I also bleed the brakes often. I love my front break with the oversized wave rotor. I had just the line done but i bent the rotor and decided to upgrade. It worked awesome, but it worked even better with the new rotor. :D :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • therapture

Posted May 04, 2002 - 08:11 PM

Originally posted by Dansgarage:
I have a 2001 yzf and it already has a Nissin master cylinder on the front. Does the honda caliper make any difference? will it fit on my bike? Or since I already have the nissin up front will a new brake line (honda style) and honda brake pads do what I want?

The single biggest difference is going to a braided steel line. Even the "honda routing" has little to do with it. As long as you have a STIFF, NO FLEX line between the master cylinder and caliper, whether or not it is 3 feet long or 4 feet long makes little difference. Fluid pressure does not change with length, only with flex in the line that holds it.

Get yourself the cheapest brand name replacement braided line you can and run it, I got mine from Moose, it has the stock routing and works like a dream compared to the stock unit.

• robswr426

Posted May 05, 2002 - 05:32 AM

goto yamaha of troys web site i just got a 270 mm oversize rotor delevered to my door for $150
best mod yet the bike will put you over the bars now if you hit it hard

• rpadgett2

Posted May 05, 2002 - 12:44 PM

I'm having a problem with my back brakes. Last week the rear started to drag and then almost lock up. Had to sit there and wait for them to cool down. Then on my way back to camp I had to stop 3 more times to let them cool off and release their grip. I tore them down in camp and cleaned them. Changed the fluid to dot 5. After that every time I go for a extended ride I have to tear them down and bleed them to make it last for a day. With the bike on a stand I can not tell if the rotor is warped, but the brakes will do this even if I don't use them. I have tried to make it back to camp without using them and they still want to lock up. Is it time to rebuild the caliper? The bike is a 99 yz400. Thanks

• Boit

Posted May 05, 2002 - 01:43 PM

Off the top of my head, I seem to remember that DOT 5 is taboo in this system. I believe that DOT 5 is a silicone based fluid that is incompatable with the Yamaha.

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

• Fireball

Posted May 05, 2002 - 02:30 PM

The Nissan Yamaha master cylinder is NOT the same as the Honda. Nissan builds them to specs for the customers and will not duplicate them for others. You can tell them apart because the Honda Nissan brake line bolts up on the back, not the front.

Here's how I fixed my brakes:
CR 250 master cylinder
Fastline Steel Braided Line routed Honda style

They are AWESOME! My son runs handguards all the time. Simply order Acerbis guards in white for a CR 250. It'll work with the master cylinder and you can modify the clutch side with a hacksaw. We have a Dr D hotstart on ours and all I had to do was bend the cable slightly to clear the hose connecting on the backside instead of the front. PM me an email addy & I'll email pics of it and how I routed my brake line.

• rpadgett2

Posted May 05, 2002 - 02:54 PM

It was doing the same thing with dot4. I tried 5 because it had a higher temp. rating.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.