5 free horsepower

42 replies to this topic
  • Chazlom

Posted May 19, 2004 - 08:18 PM

I currently do not even have the TPS, or a Hot Start, or even a Choke. With the Edelbrock carb it’s just a carb, that’s it, it doesn’t even have jets?? Just an adjustable flat needle. The bike runs the best it ever has, I really couldn't comment on the difference with the TPS plugged in or not, with a whole new carb there was a lot going on their.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • FFRacing79

Posted May 20, 2004 - 02:03 AM

Pilot, you are giving the TPS on the 450 a whole lot more credit than it deserves. Without going into a long drawn out post, everything you stated is right on...IF you were talking EFI. The TPS on the carberated 450 has a much simpler job, similar to what you described. Low RPM, HIGH load situation, BUT...the reason I disconnected the TPS in the first place was because there was a "glitch" in the CDI program. At around 8,000rpm the HP and TQ curves take a healthy dip in their curves...my explanation for the "hit" everyone was talking about. When the TPS is disconnected, the dip smooths out, the curves continue to rise, translating into smoother and more power. The YZ and CRs use basically the same FCR with the same TPS sensor...the difference being the CR's map is correct, whereas the YZ's has a small "glitch".
There are many riders who have been using this mod for 2 years now with no ill effects, matter of fact I have need read anyone posting that they did not like the mod's effects.

• YZ426FPilot

Posted May 20, 2004 - 05:26 AM

I never said there was a problem with disconnecting it or not. Its just good to know what you're doing. Since most people unplug the TPS without even knowing what its job is.

The 04 YZ450 has a different map that the 03. When you remove the TPS from the system it will have a different affect. As it will with any YZF with a different map.

I was just stating what the TPS is SUPPOSED to do. Now how well it REALLY does its job is up to Yamaha.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.