decompression shaft screw - hellicoil

13 replies to this topic
  • gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 11:30 AM

need your help guys on the size of the screw that holds the decompression shaft (right side of the engine) . i ruined the screwing and need to get hellicoil, and the bike is not near me at the mom.

and one more thing , i never used hellicoil , any tips how to do it?

• gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 11:57 AM

i just need to know what should i ask at the tools shop , what size/kind of helicoil as i dont have the screw with me.
and how do u guys helicoil ? do i need to take the valves cover out to do it or can i make it on the bike?

• Hick

Posted May 02, 2002 - 02:06 PM

I did the same thing on my '00, there are only a few threads on that bolt so it is easy to rip those threads out.

I believe it is a 4 mm bolt, prob .75 pitch (?)

Anyway you can do it right on the bike. A little trickier than normal heli-coil jobs because it ain't a blind hole. I think I just cut the pigtail off the coil beforehand, threaded it in, and then held it in place with a small screwdriver while I removed the tool.

Hope this helps.

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 05:26 PM

i posted thread a while back about this topic.i listed size heli coil and where you could buy just need to find that should answer most of your questions

• gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 06:12 PM

ok , now u got me wrong, i saw someone offers a 6mm*1.25 and here u say 4mm*.75 . please help asap as i need to get it today from the shop (i dont have the bike or the screw with me).

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 07:15 PM

all i can tell you is i was writing information with receipt for helicoils in my hand im sure of that because i posted k119's phone # incase anyone had trouble finding metric heli coils.

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 07:29 PM

just in case you still dont trust me Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 07:46 PM

hi freestyle ,
thanks for the help. but back then u said u used m6*1.25 and the manual shows m6*1. what do i realy need ? whats is the different between the 1 and 1.25 ? cause the person at the shop told me that the standard one is m6*1

thanks freestyle, and i trust u guys more
than any mechanic that i know....

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 08:14 PM

they probably only had 1.25 when i was buying heli coils.i do know that they were a little long i had to trim the heli coil a little the way i recommend you take head off to install heli-coil.if you insist on doing it with head still on bike,try sticking a deepwall socket where decompression level fits the tighter the socket fits the better.the socket will stop heli-coil from threading in too deep.the reason most people are stripping the bolt is copper washer is worn to thin so the tip of bolt hit decompression shaft.bolt is supposed to fit in groove but stopping slightly before it hit shaft.

• freestyle111

Posted May 02, 2002 - 08:25 PM

you can look up bolt size on microfiche at or .i almost forgot there is a seal for decompression shaft inside head you need to be careful not damage it.ive read a few post about oil leaks starting after helicoil fix.

• gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 08:51 PM

thanks freestyle,
i heard that of the guys here just break the helicoil before it reaches to its end, to make sure its not far inside, what do u think ? hw can i stop it before its end?

• gal

Posted May 02, 2002 - 08:53 PM

and one more thing,
i dont think ill take off the head, any special tips how to do it on the best way?

• Crocodilesaschi

Posted May 02, 2002 - 10:09 PM

Got the same problem 2 weeks ago, i just cut a new M8 and put a new Selfmade-Screw inside.
No problem anymore....

• freestyle111

Posted May 03, 2002 - 01:02 AM

the problem with leaving head on when your installing heli coil will be all the metal shavings from drilling and tapping suck most of them out with shop vac but some will end in lip of decompresion shaft's wont take long after that to start leaking.with head off you can flush metal shavings out you have a much better view when installing heli only takes 15 pull head it costs $500 to replace head if you screw it up.why not take the time and make sure its done right.

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.