this should be yzf anonymous

85 replies to this topic
  • 193-426

Posted May 02, 2002 - 04:06 PM

Next week- I begin looking for the nearest dealer of orange plastic. Get it? Get it?

Anyone interested in parts? I have several new wheels and new rotors, many misc used rotors. Lots of other stuff too.

• SoderholmD

Posted May 03, 2002 - 05:26 AM

Hey BigLou. I was wondering about your bikes. I need a hare scrambles bike and I was wondering if you could compare the relative strengths and weaknesses of your two bikes for this purpose.Both of these two are on my list. Which one do you prefer and reccomend. BTW I'm 5'11' 190. B-rider.

• kfrosty

Posted May 03, 2002 - 06:36 AM

Mike,

For what it's worth and I think it's been covered. My 02 bike the only problem starting it was because of the compression and finding TDC. But after a couple of months this thing starts as good or better than the the two strokes I used to race. I can hit the throttle. (Even though I don't most of the time.) And it doesn't make a difference. You may have some ignition problem or something that your dealer needs to have fixed if it's brand new. Also, if you've just fouled one or two plugs, you could have just gotten bad plugs. I know it sounds funny but I've had two plugs that have been bad since I've owned this bike. Just don't give up on it and lose money to buy a Honda or anything else. You can get in the same situation with any bike or product for that matter. Good luck!

• lou

Posted May 03, 2002 - 06:53 AM

GEEEZE PEOPLE!! have a little sympathy for Mike. Myself and many others experienced the same problems as Mike. And if you dorks could read you'd see his problem is NOT starting the bike, it's keeping the P.O.S. RUNNING. Mike, if possible, get the bike to the dealer and put lots of pressure on them to make it right.

• beezer

Posted May 03, 2002 - 08:29 AM

I think Yamaha made a few 426s that are lemons. Sorry to say Mike may have one. My 01 still has the original plug and runs great, a buddy has one that just does not like to start. Give the guy a break I would be pissed to if I got a lemon. Most dealers are useless after the sale.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 03, 2002 - 09:00 PM

I read all this & say that Mike does not have the correct "drill" down pat. Yea it is a pain in the A$$, but so is a pissed off wife or girlfriend.....then you all calm down and you may get some if you are lucky. The 426 is similar....learn the correct technique.....she will reward you with more than a smile & a adrenlin rush! There are so many people that think they have the drill down...they do not.
FYI: I have the BK mod & I always blip the throttle twice before starting to ensure a 1-2 kick start. Works everytime for me...& with completely stock jetting...go figure...

• 2000426Rider

Posted May 03, 2002 - 09:36 PM

forget all the "he should learn how to start it" comments. It is the way better than a Honda with a faulty air box seal that will blow up your motor if not fixed and Honda not doing a recall. This guy wouldn't be able to ride anything that required setup. "I don't want to jet it" DUH! good luck dude! IF YOU JET A HONDA WRONG IT WILL NOT START!
:)

• Forrest_Thump

Posted May 03, 2002 - 05:07 PM

A friend of mine had a new 2000 426 that never ran right, no matter what the jetting was. Turns out that the carb was defective, the casting was bad, so air or fuel was going somewhere it wasn't supposed to I guess. He got rid of it and went orange. I think the new owner installed a new carb and all is well. Mine 99 still runs great, by the way.

• Mike_Nyquist

Posted May 05, 2002 - 06:39 PM

Guys,

To all of you who think I can't start a 426 because I don't know the starting drill, I bet I can start your bike better than you. I am not the problem. I put a new plug in yesterday, it was sunny and the bike ran great rode it into the gargage and ruvved the motor and hit the kill switch and shut it off. Today, I wanted to ride, so I try to start my bike. Kicked it about 40 times and put it back into the shed. It didn't even act like it was going to start. I have noticed that if it's rainy or even misty out side the bike will never start. I have been at work and school so often that I haven't been able to talk to a mechanic about jetting. I still think I have a lemon. And hey that one feller that was talking about the 2002 Cr 250, at least if i baught I CR I know all I have to do is get a K and N filter and some different reeds. That would take about 20 minutes and problem solved. I still am not sure whats wrong with my bike. I don't think the jetting is wrong because I have a slight tine back fire when decelerating, just like every bike you will see at any competitive race.

• Boit

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:00 PM

Not for one second do I believe that you have a YZ. It's pretty clear to me that you are one of those teeny boppers who bleed for your chosen brand of bike and simply come here to bait the YZ owners. Have fun. To me, ALL dirt bikes are good. If I could afford it, I'd own every brand made.

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mike_Nyquist

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:07 PM

Look Guy,

I have a 2002 Yz 426F that I payed 5775 for and It's the worst bike I haver ever owned. I filled up a five gallon tank of gas when I baught it and there is still about 2 gallons left in that tank. If you do that math that means I have used 3 gallons of gas. As of today I have fouled 3 sparkplugs. Thats one fouled plug per gallon of gas. I don't know about your bikes, but every bike I have ever owned needed a new plug about every 6 months. But what dose this teeny bopper know, You idiot.

• John_H

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:28 PM

Originally posted by Boit:
ALL dirt bikes are good. If I could afford it, I'd own every brand made.

[ May 05, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

Yea, bikes are kinda like breasts. There's no bad ones, just some that are better than others.

• OZZY

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:29 PM

MIKE, I CAN RELATE TO YOUR PROBLEM ME AND A FRIEND
BOUGHT TWO 2002 426. IT TOOK ME TWO DAYS TO GET IT STARTED. I WILL SAY AT FIRST WE MIGHT NOT HAVE HAD THE DRILL DOWN BUT A MONTH LATER, MINE WILL NOT RUN ,I HAVE REJETED FOUR TIMES, MY FRIENDS BIKE IS JETED THE SAME WAY WITH NO PORBLEMS AND RUNS GOOD AFTER HE REJETED. I AM NOT NEW TO BIKES AT ALL RACED FROM 70S THRU 90S HAVE HAD ALL KINDS OF BIKES ,ATVS, WATER CRAFT, AND SNOWMOBILES AND THIS BIKE TAKES THE CAKE FOR THE WORST STARTING THING I HAVE EVER HAD. HECK I CAN LEAVE MY TROLLING MOTOR OUT ALL WINTER LONG AND NOT HAVE THIS MANY PROBLEMS. ITS A MUST TO TAKE MY WIFES ATV JUST SO I CAN BE PULLED BACK. SO PLEASE DONT SAY ITS THE DRILL CAUSE IT AINT THE DAM DRILLLLLLLLLLLL :) :D ALOS I HAVE DONE THE BLUE WIRE THING. KNOW WHAT?

• Kermit

Posted May 05, 2002 - 07:38 PM

Mike,

I had the same problem...yes I know you know how to start the damn thing. Do you leave the choke on too long? What jetting are you running? What clip are you at? Fuel screw set at? Do you chop the throttle? Don't, you have to roll into it. It is not a 2-stroke. I had to relearn how to ride. After oiling the filter let sit at LEAST 24 hours...the filter may just have too much oil on it. I bought a couple and keep them in rotation. My dealer put waaay too much oil on mine. I too came off a 2-strokes, it tkes awhile to get the Yammie set up. It took me two weeks to get it right. Buying jets, new needles. Go back through the archives there is lots of info. Be patient...I almost gave up too and went back to 2-strokes. If you still don't like it sell the damn thing and get what you want. Once mine was set up right it ripped my arms out of the sockets. I hope this helps.

• Boit

Posted May 05, 2002 - 08:10 PM

Look guy,
Learn how to work on your bike. Motocross machinery are notorious for being finicky. If you would bother to read a few posts, you might discover that the guys here KNOW how to correct certain flaws on these bikes. DUH! Now, answer that you dweebish moron.

• freestyle111

Posted May 06, 2002 - 01:35 AM

nothing worse than getting a lemon.about 3 years ago 2 of my buddys went to jetski dealership and bought identical seadoos both seadoo's had just arrived at dealer and were still in crates.these guys always go to lake together[they went halves on trailer] so both seadoo's have close to same hours.the only difference is 1 guy has never had problem not even a fouled plug.the other guy seadoo has blown 3 motors,had electrical problems and has to be towed in a least once a weekend.i watched both these guys riding the ski's and neither guy abuses ski.it just goes to show theres always a chance you can get a lemon.to make matters worse for my buddy with lemon the dealership went out of business 7 month after he bought ski.

• emcdan

Posted May 06, 2002 - 04:49 AM

Hey Mike,

First of all I agree that these bikes require alot of effort to keep going (compared to two-strokes).
When I first got mine I had the same exact problem and alot of other guys did to. You may not find it in the posts but here is what I did.
I fouled a plug the first 8 times I rode my bike. I listened to the other guys and it worked. I swear I think these carbs, seals, throttle valves or something, leaks while the bike sits. ALWAYS! ALWAYS! turn the gas off and run the bike 30 secs or about if you are through riding for the day. The next day will always start. GUARANTEED!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted May 06, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Mike, you may want to take your carb off and clean it really good. If the dealer did over oil the filter with some elcheapo filter oil, your carb might have the emulsion passages plugged, causing your wildly over rich condition. While you have the carb off, Id check the float level too. You definitely have to turn off the gas when it sits. I left the gas on once, the only time ive fouled a plug. Once you get this squared away, your gonna love this bike.

• Tony_Miller

Posted May 06, 2002 - 12:53 PM

There was some discussion on the WR forum concerning the check valve in the gas cap vent causing pressure to build in the gas tank. I found that to be my problem, especially with the Clarke tank and only partially full (so the engine heat has some air to warm and expand) My bike was running awesome, then with no change, began fouling plugs every time I started it after a previous ride. Turns out the fouling began when I started trail riding with my wife on shorter rides, so I wasn't topping off my tank. Remove that check valve!

• Ian_M.

Posted May 06, 2002 - 02:16 PM

Just to let you guys know, i too have had the same problem with my 02" YZ426. its 2 monthes old.its fouled plugs like they were going out of style. i tried everything in the jetting department nothing worked, starting routine fine, blue wire mod. didnt help. and guess what the problem was..... ***BAD IGNITION SYSTEM*** Yamaha picked up the tab and had to put a new CDI box and coil on. the bike was way advanced on the timing.Just goes to show that some of us are starting these right and still having trouble i sugest you take it back to the dealer and let them check it out. my bike runs great now start's within 3 kicks and dont need the hot button anymore. cya ian :)

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.