XRL Reality (Insanity) Check

10 replies to this topic
  • Dual_Dog

Posted April 07, 2004 - 07:03 PM

Well guys, have I lost it?

The obsession with the XRL won't stop. I bought my bike (used) in Sep '03 & the modifications seem to be endless.

Here's a list of mods to date:

Bash plate, XR-style tail light, Uni-air filter, Supertrapp IDS-2 conversion kit, desnorkled, rejetted carb, drilled the slide, shimmed the needle, Clarke 4.0 & graphics kit, in-line fuel filter, Renthal Hi-bends, Pro Grips, 14-45, cut out the ovals in the cs sprocket cover, Acerbis fork/disc guards, front & rear knobs, magnetic drain plug, Burly footpegs...

This is why I changed my signature a couple months ago. (I think) just too much to list. And the strange (insane) part about it is that I don't think I'm finished yet. I think my goal is to turn this 350 lb. monster into an XR600R with e-start and factory blinkers.

Every time I ride off-road I feel compelled to clean the dirt & mud off immediately, like it's never seen dirt, but it has, and a lot. I'm always checking this, lubing that or wiping something down. I guess I'm what's called an enthusiast (or anal). I'm always coordinating rides & convincing my buddies to go & ride off-road.

Anybody else feel the same about their Thumpers and this "hobby?"

• Roll_it_on

Posted April 07, 2004 - 07:10 PM

Yes.....You are hopelessly obsessed just like the rest of us that not only ride, wrench and adorn our bikes with frivolous gifts that are for the most part unnecessary but we also have to get on thumper forums to connect with other obsessed souls :)

• porkr

Posted April 08, 2004 - 12:42 AM

DITTO :) You did forget to mention WAX! and a couple COLD ONES while you do it. :D I use that spray on, "Wax as You Dry" on just about every part of the machine. Leaves things looking very nice.

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2004 - 01:28 AM

I just recently dumped $3,500 into my pig. She looks real purty.. :) However, the girlfriend gets jealous. I told her if I come into some money and can afford an engagement ring to fit the handlebars, she'd better watch out. Too many 14 hour Saturdays in the garage with my piggy.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted April 08, 2004 - 01:37 AM

It's not just my motorcycle, it's "MY PRECIOUS"!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Matt687

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:23 AM

I m the same way, I am always trying to find some way to get more power out of my baby, next thing I am going to look into is venting the airbox, any tips on it would be appreciated. I also am goind to look into trying to find a 15 tooth front sprocket, and will probably need a new rear by the end of summer. I also need to get some new bars because the stock ones are killing my wrists on the jumps, they have no flex what so ever, my wrists sound like cement mixers when I rotate them lol. -Matt

• Dual_Dog

Posted April 08, 2004 - 06:19 AM

I just recently dumped $3,500 into my pig. She looks real purty.. :) However, the girlfriend gets jealous. I told her if I come into some money and can afford an engagement ring to fit the handlebars, she'd better watch out. Too many 14 hour Saturdays in the garage with my piggy.

The garage is my domain and everything must be out when I'm with the "other" woman. Only other women, I mean bikes, are allowed when she's in there.

If you're lucky enough to have a wife/girlfriend that supports your "hobbies," it sure makes life (together) a whole lot easier. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because she doesn't complain or harbor any resentments about the extreme amount of hours I spend on this sport. I keep thinking I need to get her (and my daughter) a bike, but I don't think they'll get it (the addiction) like I did.

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2004 - 06:29 AM

I hear you on that. I bought an 87 xr250 and restored it. Told her it was for her to ride. She tried it and got a lil shook-up and said no way. So it's mine now. I love it when a plan comes together.. :)

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:00 AM

LOL same here too I just recently over the winter months spent about a grand on mine. Had the susepsion done and a bunch of other little things. I'm glad I dont have a wife yet lol :)

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:06 AM

No wife, this is my live-in girlfriend. She knows one to two days a week I'm cheatin on her with a MACHINE :)

• slip

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:10 PM

I just recently dumped $3,500 into my pig. She looks real purty.. :D However, the girlfriend gets jealous. I told her if I come into some money and can afford an engagement ring to fit the handlebars, she'd better watch out. Too many 14 hour Saturdays in the garage with my piggy.

:) :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.