Engine ticking/rattling (99 WR400)

1 reply to this topic
  • SXP

Posted April 07, 2004 - 06:56 PM

I've been trying to pinpoint the source of this noise which has been driving me nuts. Today, I absent mindedly applied slight pressure to the decomp lever while the engine was running and the noise stopped instantly. When I let it go the ticking/rattling started again. I wasn't engaging the lever, just pulling it in enough to start feeling the loosning and tightening of the cable as the valve bucket moved up and down. The valve are all within spec. So, what gives?

Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:48 PM

I'd be checking your valve specs again (mainly the RH Ex valve), but before you do that make sure there is suficiant free play in the decomp cable. Also check that the shim is seated correctly in the retainer.

Hamish

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.