Is this true???

8 replies to this topic
  • Matt687

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:50 PM

I have heard rumors, is it true that the 2004 YZ450F is getting red stickered in california??? If so what are the ways around this to get the green? -Matt

• The_Blue_One

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:15 PM

The 2003 wr/yz450f has a red sticker and the few 04's i checked did also.To be positive look at the Vin if it is 2003 or newer and has a 3 or c in the 8th spot in the Vin it's red sticker.

All 2002 are grandfathered as green sticker bikes.

The way i get around the red sticker issue is i have an older bike for the summer. i also refuse to by another bike unless it is a green stickered bike.I let the dealer know when i go in for parts and stop to look at the new models. I will be seriously looking at KTM if Yamaha doesn't have a green sticker on 05 bikes.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 08, 2004 - 03:00 AM

I'm over on the other coast, we don't have any colored stickers here, but we don't have any riding areas anymore either (all condos and houses now). :) Anyway, out of curiosity what makes the difference between green and red sticker? Is it only noise, or do they count pollution levels, etc.. also?

• Matt687

Posted April 08, 2004 - 03:50 AM

It is emissions level, and the threat of fire from backfiring, which for a four stroke is complete and total [@#$%&*!]. From what i see, there is a way around it. Take the bike to an emissions center, have it tested for emissions i believe the limit is 2cm of carbon per hour, then take the report slip over to the dmv to fight for the green. Also there is the situation with the spark arrestor, I would put on a USFS approved one. -Matt

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • berudd

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:29 AM

Well, now getting it tested to see what it actually does would make to much sence wouldn't it? I doubt that would work. The the book the little old lady at the DMV reads from says you get a red sticker, then that is what you will get. Logic and scientific evidence will have nothing to do with it.

• LBZYZ426

Posted April 08, 2004 - 05:20 AM

BTW where do they find these rejects that work at DMV's?
Anyone who works at the DMV is a flat out moron !!

Always wondered what would happen if you flat out kicked one of those rejects square in the nutz and made a run for it? :)

Sorry to vent I was just in there a week ago-

• Matt687

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:02 PM

I think I have an answer, you argue your case with them, then if that doesnt get the green, present the argument in court, when you win after a 1 minute debate, rub it in their face. -Matt

• crayztwentyseven

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:38 PM

I have heard of people going into the DMV and claiming they lost their sticker and needed a new green sticker, and if the little old hag :) behind the desk does not usually look very carefully she will just charge $5 for a new one and hand you the magical green sticker. :D

I have not tried this.....YET. I have an 03 yz 450 and also am dying to get a green sticker.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 09, 2004 - 03:58 AM

I Just read an interesting article in Dirt Rider about the Serivce Honda AF500 (CR250 chassis, CR500 motor). Aparently it is a green sticker bike! I don't understand, surely a premix 2-stroke puts out more pollution than a 4-stroke!? Maybe it's time for an aftermarket company to take a YZF/CRF, make a few tweaks and give it a new name, have it tested and sell it in CA as a green sticker bike. I bet there's a fortune to be had if it worked. :)

Related Content

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.