Gas tanks, again.

16 replies to this topic
  • asinine

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:17 PM

I've searched the history on the different choices of larger tanks that have been discussed here for the 450, but I'm not clear on whether the IMS and Zip-Ty tanks are the same. The websites say 3.1 and 3.3 respectively, but they look very similar. Does anyone know if IMS is making the tanks for Zip-Ty?

Thanks, Jim

• ddialogue

Posted April 07, 2004 - 03:11 PM

Yes, IMS is making the tanks for ZipTy Racing. I spoke with Mitch at ZipTy about the descrepancies in capacities and he told me that he personally measured the capacity of the tank and that they're 3.3 NOT 3.1. He speculated that IMS wanted to be on the safe side by stating 3.1. The big difference in the ZipTy tank is that ZipTy adds a connecting hose from the right lower lobe to the lower left lobe for equal drainage. On the IMS version, a 1/2 gallon gets trapped on the right side and you have to stop, lean the bike over and splash that gas to the left side. That's why I chose the ZipTy over the IMS model.

Hope that helps. I have photos of it installed if you'd like to see it. Just PM me with your email address. :)

• Frostbite

Posted April 08, 2004 - 02:32 AM

On the IMS version, a 1/2 gallon gets trapped on the right side and you have to stop, lean the bike over and splash that gas to the left side. That's why I chose the ZipTy over the IMS model. :)

Hey DD, have you ever seen this happen? My 4 gal IMS doesn't hang any lower than the stocker, it's just wider. I've never noticed a lot of gas left on that side in the stock tank. I haven't had a chance to test it yet since my rear shock blew up before the tank arrived and I've been waiting nearly 2 months for the replacement. It should be here next weekend and I'm gonna run the new jug dry and post the results.

Posted Image

• ddialogue

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:04 AM

I haven't experienced the splash-over issue personally (since I've never owned the IMS version) but Dan Lorenze (former WR450 desert racer-turned KTM traitor...) used one and that was his experience. The IMS tanks for the WR450 hang lower than stock on both sides. I haven't run my dry yet but plan to do it sometime soon. Let us know what you find out, Frostbite! :)

• asinine

Posted April 08, 2004 - 03:26 PM

ddialogue, thanks for the info. Just to make sure I understand, Zip-Ty uses a second petcock (or fitting) on the ride side for the cross over where IMS has nothing at all on the right side?

I want the Zip-Ty tank, but they're saying 2-3 weeks and I have a race coming up. Maybe I can make an IMS tank into a Zip-Ty tank by adding the right side fitting myself.

I've PM'd you an e-mail address if you get a chance to send some pictures.

Thanks again, Jim

• ddialogue

Posted April 08, 2004 - 04:05 PM

Photos have been sent. Check your email!

Yes, ZipTy Racing adds 90degree fittings to both sides of the tank and uses a single petcock on the left side. You can see one of the fittings in the photos I sent you. I'm sure you could modify an IMS tank since ZipTy mods theirs after they recieve them from IMS. Drill, tap, insert 90degree fitting and route a hose between the two. I'm using a quick-disconnect coupler between the two 90's so I can take the tank off without spilling fuel everywhere. :)

• asinine

Posted April 08, 2004 - 07:40 PM

I got the pictures, thanks. It looks good, especially with the Moab dust. That's definitely the way I want to go. Now I just need to decide if I wait, or drill on an IMS.

Off topic, that is a tall seat. Where did it come from?

• ddialogue

Posted April 09, 2004 - 03:15 AM

Jim, that's the Guts Racing tall/soft foam and comp seat cover. You can check it out at . A lot of people dislike the tall seat height of the WR but man, I really like my tall/soft foam (and I'm 6'2" and not inseam-challenged!) :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BVille870

Posted April 09, 2004 - 03:19 AM

hey dd, could i see those pics? I race gncc's and i need a bigger tank. Thanks

• ddialogue

Posted April 09, 2004 - 03:22 AM

hey dd, could i see those pics? I race gncc's and i need a bigger tank. Thanks

On their way, Andy! :)

• asinine

Posted April 09, 2004 - 06:24 AM

dd, thanks again for the info. I had a tall SDG seat on my 426 and really liked it. I'm considering trying one on the 450, I'll have to take a look at the Guts seat.

• Poway Rider

Posted April 09, 2004 - 09:10 AM

I just installed the Acerbis 3.4 gallon tank and really like it. It fits nicely and has two petcocks to ensure that all the gas is usable.

• comp182

Posted April 09, 2004 - 02:21 PM

I have the Zip-Tye Tank and I love it. It is my understanding that the Zip tank carries the fuel low than the IMS tank and that is why they have two petcocks. I had a Clarke tank befor the Zip tank and I can tell you it for sure carries the fuel lower. Ty Davis did this for a lower
center of gravity.

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 10, 2004 - 06:04 PM

I also have the 3.4 Gallon Acerbis and it is first quality! Dual Petcocks ensure all the fuel is used up without having to lay the bike down to get all the gas to the other side. :)

• simon@vic

Posted April 10, 2004 - 07:38 PM

laying the bike over is much better then not having any gass left :).

what is the biggest one out there? other then the yamaha race one?

• bajabunk

Posted April 11, 2004 - 07:08 AM

I have the Acerbis and think it's great. After you run one side out you just have to turn the other petcock on and go. No tipping the bike over. I think it works great.

• RichBaker

Posted April 11, 2004 - 07:28 PM

I got a GYTR(Acerbis) tank last week, the petcocks have different length tubes-one is reserve.... :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.