Gas mileage

5 replies to this topic
  • Ranger_426F

Posted May 01, 2002 - 05:25 PM

1 More for all of you. How far can you expect to go on a stack tank. As I said would like to get into some hare scrambles or poker runs. Realize that aggresiveness and style will play a big part but how about some averages.

Thanks

• cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2002 - 06:19 PM

The owner of the dealership where I bought my 426 said he went 65 miles on a stock tank- but he's old :) and I'm guessing he had stock gearing and never got on the throttle a lot. My bike seems to do really good on gas with 12/49 gearing, but I'm guessing 45-50 miles max on a stock tank. I've never actually ran the tank dry yet, so I'm not sure. If I find out I'll let you know!

• Boit

Posted May 01, 2002 - 10:16 PM

Before I even read a reply, I figured about 65 mile range. With a carb that has an accelerator pump, the more you blip the throttle, the worse the milage. The milage might go up a little if you increase the idle speed a little so that it's not necessary to blip the throttle to prevent a stall. I would still use 65 miles as the top limit though.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tommy_Gun

Posted May 02, 2002 - 05:18 AM

In racing conditions (I race expert class off road) the mighty 426 and stock tank gets anywhere between 50-65 mpg. First-gear trails: lower end, faster or desert: top end. I have a new, larger than stock, Clarke tank that I've never installed because the YZF gets such good mileage.
-Tom

• mike_dean

Posted May 02, 2002 - 05:26 AM

Less than 2 hrs, '00 426, T-4 pipe, rejetted, riding on local MX track to check mileage. Mike

• PumpkinHumper

Posted May 02, 2002 - 09:26 PM

My 99 yz 400 gets in the realm of 50-60 miles out of a tank. Here in Michigan anyways.

Ya want a real shocker. I was up in the mountains in Colorado last year. I got 90 miles out of a tank. I couldn't believe it. It was on vapors but it got me back to camp. That thin air is something.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.