kill switch how does it work please read

6 replies to this topic
  • mulisha00

Posted April 06, 2004 - 12:40 PM

first thanks to you thumpers in the yz forum for always having the answer for a 2smoker

now for the good stuff

I am installing a bilge pump on a jetski and need a switch. the yz switch is the best looking one of the 5 brands. if i have 12 volts on one end of the switch and push the button does this connect the circuit(ie 12 volts goes to other end) or will this disconnect the circuit?

thanks fellas :) :D

• mxcowboy

Posted April 06, 2004 - 12:56 PM

It should complete the circuit. Get a volt/ohm meter and see if it's normally open, then push button and it should go closed.
I put on automatic bilge pumps on mine 2 years ago and never had a problem. :)

• mulisha00

Posted April 06, 2004 - 04:59 PM

yes thats what i was thinking was it should complete the circuit. i was going to hold the switch down to activate the pump. thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted April 06, 2004 - 05:07 PM

Yes if you hooked the hot up to always be connected then ground through the kill switch it would start the pump when the kill switch was pressed. Is this an auxillary pump or the only pump? I would run the automatic switches that trigger when they sense water if it is your only pump.

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:16 AM

Take it from someone who grew up boating and working on boats, go to the marine store and buy a switch designed to be in the water. Otherwise you might be looking at a very short life for the switch; especially if you are in salt water.

• mulisha00

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:27 AM

how many times have you pressured washed your bike and the kill switch worked fine? the yamaha unit is sealed right?
so hook the power red wire up to the bilge pump and then hook the ground to the kill and back to the pump, correct? :) :D

• ChR1s

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:56 AM

You should be using a 'ski-specific part -- there are many options, and some which integrate with the OE OFF/START switch housing for a sano look. Don't bother with one of them Water Witch deals though -- they fail often and operate erratically. A corroded switch can cause the bilge pump to burn out, and the battery to discharge.

Related Content

WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.