aftermarket exhaust

11 replies to this topic
  • Vick115

Posted April 06, 2004 - 07:56 AM

Has anyone found an aftermarket pipe that has resulted in a noticable increase in power and top speed?
if so, how much and where to get it from?

• djv5

Posted April 06, 2004 - 08:24 AM

Yoshimura RS-3 Comp Series exhaust system has made a noticable difference in midrange and top end power on my '03 WR450f. Rocky Mountain ATV has the system for around $400.
Plan on adding a $70 James Dean jet kit to dial the carburation in.
I also got the Yoshimura TEC Kit which allows you to add a noise reducing insert. I run the 96 db insert and have not noticed a real loss of power.
With this set-up I have crisp throttle response, no back-fire, and cold starts with 2 or 3 kicks.
I can now run side by side wy my friends CRF450f and pass him once we hit 5th gear. I run a 14 tooth counter sprocket with a 48 tooth rear sprocket. Power wheelies in 4th gear at about 60mph with street 17" rims.

• WR450F_RDR

Posted April 06, 2004 - 12:05 PM

I went for the FMF Q series and found a big difference over the stock unit, wish I had done a year ago when I bought the bike. The unit is about $260.00. I believe also that the JD jetting is well worth it.

• Lowedog

Posted April 06, 2004 - 12:13 PM

Thunder Alley ceramic coated. Increase in performance from bottom to top but way too loud. I think it was around $350. I have heard nothing but good about the Q and am thinking of going that way. :)

• crushedreams

Posted April 06, 2004 - 02:55 PM

Hey Lowedog, Did you get the "quiet" insert? I have both and the quiet isnt that quiet, but it is better than the other one. The spark arrestor he uses is a weird one I havent seen before, its not a screen its fins that overlap eachother. Back on the subject, I noticed a nice gain with the thunder alley muffler and powerbomb header.

• jc777

Posted April 06, 2004 - 03:02 PM

I added a fmf factory 4 to my bike for 700$ w/ the powerbomb header and i noticed a HUGE difference through out the entire powerband probally around a 8hp gain

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Lowedog

Posted April 06, 2004 - 04:30 PM

Yea crusheddreams I got the "quiet" insert. I found it restrictive and difficult to jet. I ended up making my own insert. Same idea just bigger holes. It flows a lot better and does tone it down a bit. Even with the T.A. insert it is no where near 96db. The spark arrestor is differant. I think it is a Krizman (sp?). I also have a race core that I have never run. I have been told it will absolutly rip with the race core though. I will have to give it a try sometime.

• crushedreams

Posted April 06, 2004 - 05:19 PM

I have run the race core quite a bit, its in it right now. The sound is very nice, deep rumble. I dont know if it adds much but it sure sounds like youre going fast. :)

• Treebark

Posted April 06, 2004 - 09:34 PM

I wanted the same thing a couple weeks ago and was told by some that for your money a stock YZ450F muffler would be the best bet. I've noticed alot better throttle response and has helped the mid and top range. Had to change main jet to a #175 and raise the needle a notch (5th from top). I'm not sure on HP gain. Unless money is burning a hole in your pocket you can find a used or practically new one on this or the YZ forum for less than $100.

• Canuck

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:34 AM

dr.d can cure your ailments..

• kirkw

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:16 AM

very nocticable power difference with a Q and pass sound tests as well. :)

• RobRantzow

Posted April 07, 2004 - 10:51 AM

Dr. D seemed logical since he has a very big presence in developement in 4 stroke Yamahas and mine works really well.As well it has a quiet insert that is available. I got mine for a great deal cause I know the guy that makes them. But I think that they are about $420.00 for the new D shape design.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.