FOREST LEGAL PIPE FOR YZ

5 replies to this topic
  • FLEXANDROOST

Posted April 29, 2002 - 05:07 PM

Hello everyone, I've been out of the sport for a while and just purchased a sweet yz 426. I'm looking to change the pipe to a high performance forest/street legal pipe, yes I'm gonna put alight kit and tag on it. many thanks. also any other things that would be helpfull would be greatly app. :)

• Jeff_Bailey

Posted April 29, 2002 - 06:27 PM

FMF Q series seems like a good way to go.

FMF

• Tommy_Gun

Posted April 30, 2002 - 07:27 AM

The FMF one is good, but spendy. White Bros. sells their E-Series muff/sparky. I have one on my bike and I'm down to five discs. It's reasonably quiet and still pulls out fine. Just last weekend I added their stealth insert, but it doesn't seem to help a lot. Great pipe though.
-Tom

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dirtdad

Posted April 30, 2002 - 09:02 PM

I've been running the FMF Q with the stock header on my 426 for a while now. It is actually quieter than the stock muffler. Performance wise I can't really compare it to the stock unit as I only ran that just during break in then added the "Q". The bike certainly isn't slow with it on. I really only have two complaints about the "Q". First is the connection between the header and muffler. It's a slip fit with no gasket and it does leak. I've used Hi-temp RTV and it helps somewhat. Second complaint is the rear mount. It's held on with a metal strap like many road bike systems. It bugs me even more now since FMF just put out the same system for the CRF and it has a rigid mounting boss welded onto that unit!! I've recently added a Pro Moto Billet
end piece (with screen type S/A) to my stock muffler and I'm going back to that. It's a very nice product and the noise level will basically be back to stock. The FMF "Q" is verrrry long also!

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

• Squidwerd_on_a_400f

Posted April 30, 2002 - 10:11 AM

I recently purchased the Randy Hawkins quiet race series from white bros. I am very happy with the pipe( running stock header). It isn't as loud as the stock system either. It is also USFS approved. Running very well w/ stock jetting also.
I should also mention I run mine on the street.

Thumpin in the city, thumpin in the woods!
99yz400f,street/dirt electrex dakar kit,randy hawkins e-series pipe,T-handle,moose skidplate,acerbis hand guards,renthal sprockets and chain, acerbis 3.2gal tank,Renthal fatbars
:)

• dirtdad

Posted April 30, 2002 - 11:15 AM

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: dirtdad ]

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.