Alright silly question

9 replies to this topic
  • TimBrp

Posted April 06, 2004 - 03:41 AM

Alright guys..I just updated the clutch bushing on my 02' 650R. Mind you it didn't need it...However it's been like 5 months since I've kicked this bike over. When the kickstarter recoils there is a loud "tink tink tink" clicking noise which sounds like the recoil mechanism. I've been riding several other bikes in the interim and I just wanted to make sure everyone else's recoil is just as loud. It's been a while...she starts and runs fine and makes no other noises...Any help??

• TimBrp

Posted April 06, 2004 - 06:44 AM

Anyone??...C'mon guys just go kick your bike over quick..LOL :)

• frogman

Posted April 06, 2004 - 02:01 PM

You installed your kickstarters racheting assm. wrong, go take the cover off and check and reinstall.

• TimBrp

Posted April 06, 2004 - 02:53 PM

All I took off was the clutch basket to change the bushing, should that matter? I didn't touch the kickstart assembly and it recoils fine.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted April 06, 2004 - 05:54 PM

Mine makes the same noise and has never been apart. My first XR650R did not make this noise. I took it to the Honda shop and had the mechanic (a friend of mine) listen to it. He said it sounded like the rachet was not completely disengaging. The bike did not do this before but it sat for a few months without starting it. I installed the Edelbrock carb and noticed it the first time I started it. I know it has nothing to do with the carb. It seems to go almost completely away after the bike warms up some.

I'm still under warrantee so I may have it looked at later.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TimBrp

Posted April 07, 2004 - 01:48 AM

Mine did sit for a few months without starting, strange huh. Anyone else??

• chuckinketchum

Posted April 07, 2004 - 03:44 AM

It looks like you guys shouldn't let your bikes sit for a couple months. Just think what might happen if you do it again.

• TimBrp

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:45 AM

Well here in the Northeast we have winter, and my pig didn't move much in the snow... :)

• JohnnyAirtime

Posted April 07, 2004 - 12:53 PM

I 'd lOOOOVE to run out and kick mine over for ya... HOWEVER (see post on "bent valves.... etc" :)) I can't. :D

• TimBrp

Posted April 08, 2004 - 01:36 AM

Well guys just went out and kicked her over and it didn't make any noise. I think she was neglected and needed some oil. I could hear her crying like the tinman, "Oil Can, Oil Can". She's running top notch now...

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.