motocrossing with Z-start and no perch adjuster

28 replies to this topic
  • Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 06, 2004 - 02:06 AM

I have a yz450f with the z-start and I am using the external adjuster right now. I am planning on doing a my first motocross race on the 24th of April. I was wondering how people are doing on the starts without the perch adjuster which lets you use the clutch to get your RPM's up. I am afraid that I won't get as good of start without the clutch. After the start I will not need the perch adjuster anymore. I have only ridden in the woods so far and so no need for the clutch lever. I know the start is very important in a motocross race especially since there are a lot of people in my class that are at the same level as me as far as speed on the track. So it is important to do well on the start. I have the perch adjuster, but don't want to put it on.

• Thumper38

Posted April 06, 2004 - 03:14 AM

I had the same problem and it was very difficult to get a start, so now I am useing the clutch lever and I seem to be doing great! Without the lever it is very very tough! :)

• renegade

Posted April 06, 2004 - 08:07 AM

Jason, how did your clutch work this past weekend? Did you resolve your issues with it?

• Thumper38

Posted April 06, 2004 - 10:14 AM

Renegade, I did do much much better, I found the preassure plate and throwout to be rubbing on the inside of my clutch cover and actually wearing a deep groove in it. So Sean is going to send me another gasket. I just hope that the clutch cover is not weakened from the grooves. I filed down the throwout as per Sean, but the preasure plate is still rubbing, hopfully the gasket will do the trick!!!! :)

• renegade

Posted April 06, 2004 - 10:40 AM

Jason, you're not the only YZF owner who just recently had this rubbing problem! Keep an eye on the clutch cover, and if it becomes a problem, I recommend you give the guys at rekluse a call.

• OC768

Posted April 06, 2004 - 06:21 PM

Did your cover have the same pattern of scoring as this one or was it different? :)

Linkedy Link

• robmorphet

Posted April 07, 2004 - 01:06 AM

all you guys with the rubbing - did you use all 3 gaskets supplied?

• Sean_McCutcheon

Posted April 07, 2004 - 01:47 AM

This is the first time I've heard of this problem. I guess I better take my cover off tonight and inspect. I can't remember if mine had two or three gaskets.

• Thumper38

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:42 AM

I do have the same wear marks especially the center and the two on the right and left!!!!! :)

• Thumper38

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:43 AM

Mine came with 2 gaskets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • John_Lorenz

Posted April 07, 2004 - 03:14 AM

I got three with mine I had not noticed any marks. But one thing I was figuring was why the gaskets, why not a spacer instead?

Then I figured Production cost :)

BUt I would pay a bit more for a spacer instead.

• OC768

Posted April 07, 2004 - 04:35 AM

Mine came w/2 gaskets only though I would imagine they are sending out 3 now.

Just me or wouldn't the clutch basically be limited (via cover/rekluse interference) to slipping like a bastage? :)

• ChR1s

Posted April 07, 2004 - 06:03 AM

Just me or wouldn't the clutch basically be limited (via cover/rekluse interference) to slipping like a bastage? :)

Yes, because the throwout's travel was limited after the clutch warmed up. Due to heat expansion, the throwout 'bottomed' against the cover and reduced the effective clutch pressure. That situation could lead to excessive slippage, and a very toasty clutch pack.

• Fastest1

Posted April 07, 2004 - 06:47 AM

Ego/John, EFM sells an aluminum spacer made by Cometic, it is approximately 3/8" thick so it will be much more than 3 gaskets. It does increase oil capacity though. :)

• renegade

Posted April 07, 2004 - 07:48 AM

The generation 1 and 2 z-starts came with an aluminum spacer instead of the cometic gaskets. I retained that when I upgraded to the gen 3 product. I don't think I have anywhere near the clearance issues you YZF fella's are having.

• OC768

Posted April 07, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Yes, because the throwout's travel was limited after the clutch warmed up. Due to heat expansion, the throwout 'bottomed' against the cover and reduced the effective clutch pressure. That situation could lead to excessive slippage, and a very toasty clutch pack.

This = toasty?
clutch
clutch 2

• Thumper38

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:04 AM

Mine are almost that bad I hope this gasket cures the problems because I have been fooling with this clutch alot! :)

• ChR1s

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:05 AM

This = toasty?

Color is an indicator, but what you really want are flat 'steels' and non-glazed frictions with plenty of meat on them. A new clutch pack couldn't hurt. Cheap insurance. :)

• OC768

Posted April 07, 2004 - 08:15 AM

A new clutch pack couldn't hurt. Cheap insurance. :D

mo money
mo problems
:)

• thelimey1

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:07 PM

im new to the auto clutch, do i understand correctly, i can chug down to a stop, without the beast stalling, just gas and go?? like a honda 50 for example, and/ or pull the clutch for fast starts. that would be a huge bonus for me, i keep stalling the sucker going too slow in technical stuff.
would a flywheel weight be any advantage if i had the rekluse??

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.