motocrossing with Z-start and no perch adjuster

I have a yz450f with the z-start and I am using the external adjuster right now. I am planning on doing a my first motocross race on the 24th of April. I was wondering how people are doing on the starts without the perch adjuster which lets you use the clutch to get your RPM's up. I am afraid that I won't get as good of start without the clutch. After the start I will not need the perch adjuster anymore. I have only ridden in the woods so far and so no need for the clutch lever. I know the start is very important in a motocross race especially since there are a lot of people in my class that are at the same level as me as far as speed on the track. So it is important to do well on the start. I have the perch adjuster, but don't want to put it on.

Renegade, I did do much much better, I found the preassure plate and throwout to be rubbing on the inside of my clutch cover and actually wearing a deep groove in it. So Sean is going to send me another gasket. I just hope that the clutch cover is not weakened from the grooves. I filed down the throwout as per Sean, but the preasure plate is still rubbing, hopfully the gasket will do the trick!!!! ?

Mine came w/2 gaskets only though I would imagine they are sending out 3 now.

Just me or wouldn't the clutch basically be limited (via cover/rekluse interference) to slipping like a bastage? ?

Just me or wouldn't the clutch basically be limited (via cover/rekluse interference) to slipping like a bastage? ?

Yes, because the throwout's travel was limited after the clutch warmed up. Due to heat expansion, the throwout 'bottomed' against the cover and reduced the effective clutch pressure. That situation could lead to excessive slippage, and a very toasty clutch pack.

The generation 1 and 2 z-starts came with an aluminum spacer instead of the cometic gaskets. I retained that when I upgraded to the gen 3 product. I don't think I have anywhere near the clearance issues you YZF fella's are having.

Yes, because the throwout's travel was limited after the clutch warmed up. Due to heat expansion, the throwout 'bottomed' against the cover and reduced the effective clutch pressure. That situation could lead to excessive slippage, and a very toasty clutch pack.

This = toasty?

clutch

clutch 2

This = toasty?

Color is an indicator, but what you really want are flat 'steels' and non-glazed frictions with plenty of meat on them. A new clutch pack couldn't hurt. Cheap insurance. ?

im new to the auto clutch, do i understand correctly, i can chug down to a stop, without the beast stalling, just gas and go?? like a honda 50 for example, and/ or pull the clutch for fast starts. that would be a huge bonus for me, i keep stalling the sucker going too slow in technical stuff.

would a flywheel weight be any advantage if i had the rekluse??