My 1st Oil Change

7 replies to this topic
  • Bambislayer

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:57 AM

I just completed my first oil change and while it was not nearly as easy as my CR250, it was not that bad. I had done one before on a XR600 and it was similar to that except for one thing which is the topic of my question.

I tried to remove and clean the oil strainer in the frame as I have heard is good to do. The bike is a 2001 and as far as I can tell from the paint on the bolt, it has never been removed before. The oil was changed frequently and it is evident from the bolts/allen heads securing the filter and the drains. Is it bad that the strainer has yet to be cleaned out? I tried removing it, but did not have the right socket, I think a 24mm deep socket would work, what do you guys use?

Once removed, what is the best way to clean it and the oil filter?

[ April 29, 2002: Message edited by: Bambislayer ]

• thumper4life

Posted April 29, 2002 - 11:56 AM

i'd say do it once or twice a year....don't worry about it :)

• CHris_PArks

Posted April 29, 2002 - 12:56 PM

twice a year is too much. i did it after the first ride, there was some metal in it. checked it a year later. not a thing. i may check it next year but it seems there is no point.

• T-Gore

Posted April 29, 2002 - 03:05 PM

I've had 3 YZF's and I've found that is only necessary after you've ridden it 5-10 hrs and after that it's a waste of time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted April 29, 2002 - 04:28 PM

My strainer was clean both times I pulled it out, on the first oil change there may have been some small metal shavings but nothing noticeable. I used a 24mm box end wrench to pull it out.

• Bambislayer

Posted April 29, 2002 - 05:24 PM

cool, I don't feel so bad. one ? though, with you guys using box end wrenches and the like how do set the 60 or so foot pounds of torque required when reinstalling it?

• sirthumpalot

Posted April 30, 2002 - 07:13 AM

People using the box wrench to tighten the bolts are guessing at the torque. For this bolt, in the real world, an educated guess on the torque will more than likely work fine. However I'm personally a bit more conservative and I use a socket and torque wrench. The sockets are available at Sears.

• Bambislayer

Posted April 30, 2002 - 07:49 AM

Related Content

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.