Possible knee injury >>> Update

22 replies to this topic
  • Hokie

Posted April 29, 2002 - 09:03 PM

Anybody with a previous/current knee injury:

Did you know you had messed it up when it happened?

I hurt mine 3 weeks ago, and it seemed to be getting better, but now I can't tell. I'll walk around and everything feels OK but then it will catch once in a while. Going to the orthopedic doc on Thur. to get it checked out.

Just trying not to worry about it too much, and possible 4-6 month rehab.

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

• Oregon_Thumper

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:17 AM

I hurt mine last year playing baseball, partially tore my LCL. Was out of riding and baseball for 2 months with a huge brace, then a couple of more to rehab it back to normal. Take care of your knees. I wear braces on both of them because they heals very slowly. My ortho guys said it takes 9 weeks for a ligament to heal completely!

• Hokie

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, I have some asterisks now. They came a week after I got hurt. Pretty pissed about it.

• Unibomber

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:40 AM

Yep, I destroyed my ACL abouts two years ago playing b-ball. I had it ortho-scoped which revealed that the ACL was no longer in service, it looks like torn rope. (and they gave me a video of the procedure inside my knee !!)
Anyhow I refused to get the replacement surgery (cause it would have put me out of work for 6 months)
It took 4- weeks for the swelling to go back to normal and I still feel it when I stress the knee real bad, so I hope yours is minor and it may just take some time on the couch. Good luck, be patient and hope its just a minor tear. (and keep in mind there are professional athletes who do not have either ACL's or LCL's and compete because they keep their leg muscles in top shape to compensate for the missing ligiment)

• BigDesto

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:52 AM

Hokie, Ligaments take a long time to heel, cartilage on the other hand does'nt heel. If your knee feels fine, then all of a sudden it locks-up or hurts, you probably have torn cartilage.They have to cut the torn(floating)pieces out,clean it up so when you straigten out your leg nothing binds.I blew my knee out in 94,have no ACL don't need it ha ha!Have a brace,but i don't wear it because i have a rod the length of my tibia :) :D

• Hokie

Posted April 29, 2002 - 10:59 AM

Originally posted by Unibomber:

It took 4- weeks for the swelling to go back to normal and I still feel it when I stress the knee real bad, so I hope yours is minor and it may just take some time on the couch. Good luck, be patient and hope its just a minor tear. (and keep in mind there are professional athletes who do not have either ACL's or LCL's and compete because they keep their leg muscles in top shape to compensate for the missing ligiment)

Thanks for all the input, I never had much swelling after the injury so I'm hoping for the best. My legs are in pretty good shape, I have been going to a trainer for the last 1.5 year and she kicks my ass!!

We'll see what happens Thur., keep your fingers crossed!

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 29, 2002 - 11:41 AM

Ligaments dont heal either. If its torn, it will stay torn.

In 1982 I hyperextended my knee 90 degrees. Not pretty. All of the ligaments were torn off the attachement points. This was a lucky thing believe it or not. Also the top of the joint on the Tiba? was broken off, along with the meniscus being torn/pinched through. They drilled holes to sucture the ligaments back in, stapled&suctured the weight bearing surface back to the tiba, sewed the hole up in the meniscus. It doesnt fully straighten out, but pretty close, and it doesnt collapse all the way either. I can't run on the sand without it swelling up, but thats about all I cant do. I dont limp, was told I would. They also told me I'd never be able to run again, wrong. The told me I was really lucky that they would be able to save the joint at all. I dont listen to doctors much anymore, unless Im bleeding or the bone is showing. Good luck with your knee. The technology you have at your side is much better than what I had then in 1982.

• Striker

Posted April 30, 2002 - 01:45 PM

Anybody have any luck getting your med insurance to cover those $$$ knee braces? If so, how did you manage that? I do have a pre-existing knee injury from baseball yrs. ago. I have some $30 knee CUPS but man, those things do NOT feel very secure. A buddy of mine rides with the Asterisks and swears I'm an idiot! He is most-often RIGHT!

• John_Lorenz

Posted April 30, 2002 - 03:36 PM

One time I crashed so hard It took a week to figure out I had broken My Knee................................................................................................................................................................................ ................................... .................................................................................Thinking about it Back then I was drunk that whole week,, Ok Month,, Alright already the whole damn year :)

I smashed my left knee real good at sears point raceway, it swelled like a basketball in minutes and was full of fluid. That was in 80 or 81. Since then I have had 4 scopes to keep cleaning the scar tissue, I refuse to get it cut on. It gives me trouble from time to time, but nothing that has givin me much problems....

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: EgoAhole ]

• Unibomber

Posted May 01, 2002 - 05:17 AM

Ok with all of the war stories out, here are some solutions (not that i came up with them) dirtrider.net has a non bias review of all the leading brand knee braces in detail including prices and likes-dislikes, the whole nine yards.

And yes my insurance picked up one of those $1000.00 knee braces, im guessing because the doc prescribed it ? Yet that braces has no patella cup cover which is a must for Moto, and that thing hurts when playing sports. (not ment for Moto) Im going to be purchasing some Moto braces NOW !! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Mark_UK

Posted May 01, 2002 - 06:47 AM

actually i think u will find dirt rider nett is sponsored by a brace manufacturer,,,,,, so there hardly unbiased now are they

• Dodger

Posted May 01, 2002 - 07:00 AM

Yo Hokie;

Yup, two years ago broke my upper tibial plateau, hurt like hell. Hard to not notice that something wasn't right when it happend, swelled immediately. 1 surgery, 1 big ass screw, and 6 months of PT later, good as new.......kind of.

I'll tell you what though, at least here in Boulder we are lucky to have so many very talented orthopedists, due to the shear number of highly active people around here. If you have insurance, I would probably have someone take a look at it, expecially if your planning on staying active. And while your at it, you can try to get some of those CT2's prescribed to you. I'm trying to get that angle worked out myself, may have to have my screw taken out to get it done though.

Late

Dodger :) :D

• Hokie

Posted May 01, 2002 - 08:25 AM

Dodger,

Who was you doc?

I'm going tomorrow to get it checked out.
I'm going to the Boulder Sports Medicine Institute or something like that. I'm hoping not to hear the standard doctor phrase "stop riding" cause that ain't happening. Don't really expect from the docs around here though.

I got some of the asterisks and they seem real good. They fit pretty well and move well when you walk.

I'm still going to ask the doc about some cti's, although I don't like the fact that they do not have knee cups.

[ May 01, 2002: Message edited by: Hokie ]

• Hokie

Posted May 01, 2002 - 08:30 AM

Originally posted by Mark_UK:
actually i think u will find dirt rider nett is sponsored by a brace manufacturer,,,,,, so there hardly unbiased now are they

This is true, but I think some of those reviews were written before they were sponsored by asterisk.

Also, a lot of those reviews are written by people that are not getting any benefit from the company. (ie - members of the site, but not the owners of the site)

• Dodger

Posted May 01, 2002 - 09:11 PM

Yo Hokie;

My ortho's name is real easy to remember, Dr. William Williamson. I think he's with Boulder Ortherpedists, right over next to the hospital. I highly recommend him, he never got down on me about stopping my activites. In fact, about 3 months after breaking my knee, I was out at IMI getting some "non-prescribed" saddle time in, and ended up high siding it around a corner on the small BMX track. It was the first hard left 180 after the 3 small bumps, and I ended up slamming my chest directly into the groud. Needless to say, after stopping in Longmont to get my medial card, I drove myself straigh to Boulder Community. I was joking with the people in the E.R. not to tell Dr. Williamson that I was riding when I shouldn't have been. Though he found it kind of irresponsible, he was laughing with me about it. I ended up at the Boulder Center for Sports Medicin also after the scope and surgery were done, they are very cool over there.

Keep me informed with your progress, maybe we'll get a chance to hook up one of these days. I live in S. Boulder and usually ride a couple days a week.

Heal fast.

• Hokie

Posted May 01, 2002 - 11:12 AM

Cool!

I have been looking for someone to show me some of the trails up lefthand.

• Dodger

Posted May 01, 2002 - 11:15 AM

I know your more of an MX'r, but when you get better, I'll show you some better trails than left hand. Not bagging on left hand, just know some much better trails.

Drop me a PM, I'll give you my phone number.

Late

• Hokie

Posted May 02, 2002 - 05:26 AM

Originally posted by Dodger:
I know your more of an MX'r, but when you get better, I'll show you some better trails than left hand. Not bagging on left hand, just know some much better trails.

Drop me a PM, I'll give you my phone number.

Late

I figured as much, that's why I need a tour guide!

Check your PM's...

[beavis] huh, huh, huh you said PMS [/beavis]

• motousa

Posted May 02, 2002 - 06:33 PM

Hey man, easy on dirtrider.net, i have the Asterisk braces and LOVE them! Only thing that might be a prob is durability. i anything happens i will post for sure. i hope you knee heals up better. Just to add, i have hurt both of mine numerous times, and like you said, it is really WEIRD, some days are just better than others. They never seem to both be perfect for a very long time. Oh well....you live once, ride on!

• IBWFO

Posted May 02, 2002 - 07:07 PM

I've had acl replacement on both knees and mcl on one. Be sure to go to a doc that knows what you want. In other words, I wanted to still be able to play hoops and racquetball.
Ligaments don't repair themselves.
ACL surgery is so much better today than it was even in the early 90's.
Check out Bob's ACL Board on the net.
literally thousands of people that have had kneee injuries and also some doctors.
Some docs don't/won't do an MRI and you really can't know whats wrong if you don't.
If you scope the knee you might find out the ACL is torn but will still have to go with surgery.
Most Major athletes can't go without an ACL! You might get away with it in MX, but you won't be playing hoops or tennis or any sport where you need quick side to side motion.

D
Even a golfer can't be successful with a torn ACL!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.