250F / 450F combo platter?

14 replies to this topic
  • vetplus40

Posted April 05, 2004 - 12:09 PM

If any of you big thumper owners that race mx/sx and also still own and race a 250F can you tell me if it is possible to be comfortable switching back and forth between both bikes?
I was exploring the possibility of running small sx tracks with the 250F and larger mx tracks with the 450F.
I am curious if switching is an issue?.Thanks for any input.:)

Posted April 05, 2004 - 03:08 PM

No problem.........love both bikes :)

• vetplus40

Posted April 05, 2004 - 03:19 PM

Thanks...........:) I am still getting dusted by the big bores on the larger tracks. I have been practicing harder, but I still cannot make up that missing horsepower. I recently bought a mint condition 2002 2 stroke, but I cannot seem to swap back and forth. I am always in the wrong gear on the 2 stroke. Thanks again.

Posted April 06, 2004 - 02:25 PM

I had the same delima. I LOVE the 250F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was the BEST bike ever built!!!!!!!! Now we have a larger selection of color to choose from, but Blue is the original 250F.
With that said...........
I have made the 450F my race bike of choice....... but, I will never be without a 250F in the Garage....... few tracks are more favorable on the 250F.......but the 250F is SOOOOOOOO MUCH FUN to ride you just can't get that :D from your face. I have not put lap times on both bikes yet (not enough stamia), I will be doing some laps sooooooon. :)
If you can afford both.......... DO IT!!!! :D :D

• vetplus40

Posted April 06, 2004 - 03:00 PM

Yes, I can do it, but I have slight dilema first...lol
I just purchased a tricked out 02 RM 250, with all of the aftermarket goodies. I got an EXCELLENT deal on it. My thinking was that if I could relearn to ride the 2 stroke, that bike would better fill both needs and I could get by with only one bike. I am just not sure I can revert back. At any rate, I will solve this dilema somehow. I mainly race on small sx type tracks, but I practice on a larger mx type track. Mixing up the tracks keeps me from getting bored.:)

• gonzo

Posted April 06, 2004 - 03:55 PM

I have both but I actually havent ridden the 450 since I got the 250. I will probably break it out this weekend.

• vetplus40

Posted April 06, 2004 - 04:03 PM

You guys with both make me soooooooooo jealous.:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 07, 2004 - 09:28 AM

Jealous...........I'm jealous of Gonzo..........he has an 04 250F :D :)

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 07, 2004 - 10:34 AM

I've got both. I hear you about swapping back and forth with a 2 stroke. I the YZ450F and a YZ250 at the same time...I had to tell myself to SHIFT when I rode the 250! :)

I was having trouble on tight/jumpy tracks with the 450 and gave the CRF250R a try. Loved it so much I sold the YZ250 and bought one! Now I pretty much just take the CRF250 to the track and the YZF to the dez. If I was racing a big open track like Glenn Helen, I'd take the 450 but just about anywhere else I'm faster - LONGER on the CRF250R. Swapping doesn't seem to be much of an issue...I think the 250F is helping me right the 450F BETTER! :D

• Nitrox

Posted April 07, 2004 - 10:51 AM

I have the 04 450 and my son has the 04 250. I ride both but only the 450's suspension is set up for me. Anyway, I can ride both on any track and feel comfortable but I do have to remeber which bike I'm on. There are step ups I just can't make on my sons 250. I need the power!

Now my son who is a much better rider than I am, and at least 90lbs lighter, can handle both bike. He can switch from bike to bike anytime and ride either to a competative level.

Oh to be young!

Craig :)

• vetplus40

Posted April 07, 2004 - 12:31 PM

I hear ya about the missing power.We have an abundance of tracks within a 2 hour drive that encompass just about every combination of layouts.Some are small tight ax/sx type tracks and some are outdoor type measuring over 1.5 miles per lap. I really wanted to have only one big bike (for maintenance reasons)but I just don't think the 250F will do it. The 250 2 stroke would fit both needs, but I may be a thumperman for life now.:)

• beezer

Posted April 07, 2004 - 02:10 PM

A buddy has both and loves to play around on the 250 but its dangerous to try certain jumps with it. The 450 is a better race bike.

I think the best vet bike might be the 250 with a big bore kit. I have heard they don't hold together that well.

• vetplus40

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:12 PM

My personal feeling is that overboring anything exceeds what the equipment was designed to do. Kinda like overclocking your pc..:)

• gonzo

Posted April 08, 2004 - 08:36 AM

I think the 250F is helping me right the 450F BETTER! :)

That's what I am hoping for. I am a completely different rider on my 250F. Hopefully I get that way on the 450.

• gonzo

Posted April 08, 2004 - 10:22 AM

Jealous...........I'm jealous of Gonzo..........he has an 04 250F :D :)

I rode a 250F when I took that trip to California in November at Elsinore. I fell in love. I had a CRF450 and the YZ250F. I got on the 250F and never went back to the 450. I knew then that's what I needed to buy.

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.