Broken Header - What does FMF stand for ?

10 replies to this topic
  • Dutch

Posted April 05, 2004 - 09:48 AM

My header broke at the collector weld and they don't care - "not interested, thanks"
I thought I knew what FMF stood for but now I need to rethink that.
Any ideas?

• FTD

Posted April 05, 2004 - 09:53 AM

In your case: " F irst (in) Manufacturer Flaws." :)
Hoss

• Kritter

Posted April 05, 2004 - 10:11 AM

its too bad FMF doesnt care about anything more then the bottom line. Oh well...more reason to support smaller companies.

• qadsan

Posted April 05, 2004 - 12:28 PM

Escalate the issue and call Don Elmer directly and see what he has to say. Don't get discouraged yet.

• needsprayer

Posted April 05, 2004 - 02:05 PM

Fast Muther F**kers. It's an inside joke that wasn't shared with the public. Read this in an article about the startup of FMF, the author was interviewing the owners.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jazzeyb

Posted April 05, 2004 - 05:21 PM

I emailed FMF and asked them what their stance was on equipment sold, with crappy welds, and explained my stance was, what one person posted can sway the minds of dozens.. (didn't use user-names or anytthing)
Just wanted to know if they cared about the customer or the bottom line, and told them I appreciated in advance their honesty......
I'm not being nosey...Hell... I was lookin at some FMF stuff and wanted an honest answer from them...
Did I mention I haven't gotten a reply yet?
Maybe for some companys, silence is honesty...
Always something to think about, huh.....
I think personally... I'll wait till I hear something positive 'bout FMF... cause I have never heard anything either way regarding motard/sm until tonight..
and it "weren't" good.............
JaZz
:)

• smashinz2002

Posted April 05, 2004 - 05:58 PM

This is exactly the reason why I threw my garbage Big gun pipes away (they cracked/leaked/didnt fit right), and went back to the stock pipes which I still use. At least the stock pipes fit and don't fall apart. You can modify the HRC exhaust tip by cutting off the baffle cap and arrestor screen, leaving nothing but the bell reducer part.
Also, when I still had my YZ426, I bought an FMF silencer for it and it didn't fit right, but I still used it. After a few months, it started leaking around the seams. And all the packing blew out quick. What a piece of crap.
Never again will I spend tons of money on aftermarket pipes until I hear for sure that they are good.

• JeffreyT

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:30 PM

I bought the PowerBomb headers from FMF and they had a bad weld where the two headers marriage into one. I called them up and they were very happy to take them back and fix them, saying that they have had a few of these with similar problems. They were under warranty still, but the guy said that it didn't really matter and would fix them anyway. I'm also running the Q muffler and had some problems with the end of the pipe not being expanded enough to receive the header portion. Nothing that a hammer couldn't fix, but I though it was B.S. that I had to manhandle the thing to get it to fit right. In the end, I'm a relatively satisfied FMF customer and think that their products sound good, are pretty stout, and can stand up to off-road abuse.

• Matt687

Posted April 06, 2004 - 04:27 AM

I am running a FMF Megamax on my XR600 and I love it, I tuned it in for huge torque gains and excellent sound. -Matt

well in your case:

F - frequent
M - muffler
F - failures

F - Fat
M - Mother
F - F*ckers

• jazzeyb

Posted April 06, 2004 - 01:24 PM

Here is the reply FMF gave me when I asked If they stand behind thewir stuff.. Hope it's useful...

I'm not sure who your friend spoke to at FMF but we have a 100% guaranteed warranty policy on any manufacture defects. Simply return the product and we will replace it. If you can possibly find out whom your friend spoke to that would help my cause of tracking down this problem significantly. I apologize for any mis-understanding he/she may have had with our sales department but we at FMF feel that we build the best product out there and we stand by that 100%, and if ever should there be a problem with one of our products then we want to resolve the issue and get new product out to that customer immediately! So please don't disregard FMF Racing as your performance exhaust leader based on one improper handling of an employee here. Your business and word of mouth is what makes FMF #1 and we value you and your friends as customers.
Any further questions feel free to contact me directly through FMF at 310 (email me for his direct phone number...)

Thanks
Jason Partridge
FMF Rider Support

• loufish

Posted April 06, 2004 - 05:43 PM

Flying Machine Factory....Glad to hear they will back their product.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.