Replacement chain

11 replies to this topic
  • dangerousdana

Posted April 05, 2004 - 02:22 AM

I'm sure this has been discussed a thousand times before, but I only come here when I need help. So that I don't have to search the archives, can I get some recommendations for a stock replacement chain...Better/cheaper??? Mine has 5000 miles on it and has been regularly lubed with Honda's best chain lube and kept adjusted properly, but if you bend a kink in it, it will stay kinked. (when slack of course, not when under load)

I have a 01 XR650L with stock sprockets. thanks. dana

• AZ Thumpdaddy

Posted April 05, 2004 - 02:29 AM

DID X-Ring ERV or ERV2 depending on how much cash you wan to spend - the best out there. :)

• dangerousdana

Posted April 05, 2004 - 03:34 AM

What size chain does it take, and does anyone know off the top of their head, exactly how many links? Stock sprockets 2001 XR650L.

• dangerousdana

Posted April 05, 2004 - 03:39 AM

OOPS, I know the size is 520, but how many links???

• dangerousdana

Posted April 05, 2004 - 04:06 AM

Is the endless chain (riveted master link) necessary??? I would think that since this chain runs through so many slippers and guides, that a normal master link would catch on something and come loose. Any thoughts???

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:08 AM

The stock chain length is a 110 links and I have the did erv2 gold chain on mine and so far its been great. also I have a master link on this chain and have had no problems with it.:)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • irondude

Posted April 05, 2004 - 08:18 AM

I prefer to run the masterlink, and havent ever had any problems going that way. Another vote for the DID ERV2.

• hagen505

Posted April 27, 2006 - 03:31 PM

I pulled this thread out of the search archives, but my question is that with the masterlink chain, do you need to buy the $150 chain tool to smash the heads of the rivets on the masterlink? I think I'd rather remove the swingarm and get the endless chain, instead of getting the tool. I had a 520 110 link chain still in the package from a KDX 175 I had, that I threw on. I know when I replaced a strictly dirt bike chain I just clipped on the masterlink, but this is an 650L that is on the street and I don't want to risk the chain seperating. What are your thoughts? *edit* I think I am not going to use the KDX chain just because I am not sure if it is rated for a 650cc bike but, I am still curious about the cruching of the masterlink rivets. Thanks..

• HawkGT

Posted April 27, 2006 - 03:51 PM

FYI the ERV2 has been replaced by the ERV3. The 3 has marginally better specs. There are still plenty of ERV2s out there though. I've got the 3 on my 650R and the 2 on track bike of mine. Like has allready been said--the best chain you can buy. Maybe not the best value, but a fair value considering their durability. Quality is second to none, IMO.

ETA: a masterlink doesn't require a rivet tool but a chain press is suggested/required. They don't cost much. I don't think the ERV2/3 series has an available a masterlink--only a rivet type link (although some masterlinks may work--but then the chain is only as strong as that non-ERV2/3 link).

• Mooncruiser

Posted April 27, 2006 - 09:03 PM

'Course, you're not putting 115 horsepower thru that final drive. I've seen one masterlink failure in decades of riding. I do carry a spare link but it's more of a talisman than something I might need.

I just got a DID Xring chain and steel sprockets from a vendor in Utah off eBay. I hope to use a masterlink if I can when I change it.
Chip

• ghoti

Posted April 28, 2006 - 05:04 AM

I got a Pprimary Drive x-ring from Rocky Mountain as a replacement to the stock DID that went 15,000. It was starting to kink but wasn't that loose on the sprockets. I have about 2,500 miles on it with no complaints. It is a clip type master, and I think it was $45.00.

• Border Patrol

Posted April 28, 2006 - 07:03 AM

I got a Pprimary Drive x-ring from Rocky Mountain as a replacement to the stock DID that went 15,000. It was starting to kink but wasn't that loose on the sprockets. I have about 2,500 miles on it with no complaints. It is a clip type master, and I think it was $45.00.

I'm running the same chain. No complaints yet

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.