changing brake pads

5 replies to this topic
  • 426thumpers

Posted April 28, 2002 - 01:55 AM

well thanks for all the help with corners, now i guess it would be easier if i had some brakes.
need to change front and back on my 2001, i've done this before on street bikes but never dirt bikes. Shouldn't be too hard, got any pointers or advice before i start?

• thumper4life

Posted April 28, 2002 - 09:31 PM

tis not in le manual ole chap? :)

• 426thumpers

Posted April 28, 2002 - 10:33 AM

i have the manual and know i can do it, was just looking for little do's and dont's to make the job easier

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumper4life

Posted April 28, 2002 - 01:42 PM

well i aint got any, i need to do my first pad job on mine too :)

• eBayThumper

Posted April 28, 2002 - 03:12 PM

Hey, I have a don't...

Don't hit the brake lever while the wheel is off...

Other than that it's pretty straight forward...

Ride On,,,

• twej

Posted May 01, 2002 - 09:56 PM

Haven't done the front but just did the rear.

There's a rod that connects each pad on the rear. On the right side is a cap which gets unscrewed, it's about a quarter inch long. Then behind that is where you unscrew the rod, allen head. Remove rod. Then with a screwdriver, gently press the right pad back which will depress the plunger and give you sufficient room to remove the old and install the new. The old pad will drop down before pulling out, though you have to pull it down. When installing the new ones, push up in the back then up in the front.
Remove the metal holder and heat shield if you have one, from the old pad and place over new pads.
DO NOT depress brake lever while pads are out. If you do, that pesky plunger will be in the way.

Slide new pads in, if not enough room, you have to depress the plunger (to the right) further.
Screw rod back through both pads, and snug tight. Don't need to crank on it. Then screw plastic cover back in, again, no need to crank on it. Spend about 20 minutes riding and gently applying the brakes to "break in" the pads. Make sure you have a clean break disc before riding on the new pads.
I changed mine in about 20 minutes which is probably 15 minutes longer than someone whose done it before.

Good luck

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.