Water pump blues

4 replies to this topic
  • thumpsalad

Posted April 27, 2002 - 06:59 PM

Once again, I find myself posting about water pump probs...

I ordered all new parts for the water pump on my 99 YZ400. When I installed everything per the Clymer manual, I notice the shaft doesn't spin the bearing. The bearing is seated properly in the housing, but when I turn the impeller shaft, it spins inside the bearing, but the bearing doesn't move at all...almost like it's binding. I can get it to spin a little, but I have to force it. Will it free itself when it gets warm from the motor or what?

• MANIAC998

Posted April 27, 2002 - 11:32 PM

Good question. Next weekend, I will rip mine apart to do a clutch mod. I can tell you what I find out about my pump bearing then. I'm sure you don't want to wait that long though. So good luck!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumpster

Posted April 28, 2002 - 05:49 AM

Same here, I'm waiting on parts to arrive. If it doesn't take too long. I'll let you know how it went.

• thumpsalad

Posted April 28, 2002 - 07:13 AM

Hey guys, I figured it out!

When you install the smaller (it goes behind the bearing) of the two seals, MAKE SURE it is seated af far as it will go in to the housing! If it is not seated all the way, the inner bearing race will drag against it! That was the problem here! Mine was not seated and maybe off by about 1mm and that was enough to make the bearing drag.

• Thumpster

Posted April 28, 2002 - 10:56 AM

Good to hear that you fixed the problem. I'll watch for that when assembling my bike. Thanks. :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.