Dr. D ride report - part 1

6 replies to this topic
  • Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 04, 2004 - 06:13 PM

Dr. D ride report - part 1

Well I got ride this morning... It rained all night but this morning was 60 deg. and sunny! If you've never ridden wet desert, it's magic! :usa: Headed out with my normal crew for a some trail riding and hill climbing!

To the pipe... It's definitely quieter than the stock unit. I was with a WR426 (WB E), CRF450F(Stock) and KTM 520SX(FMF) and it was the quietest of the bunch. Throttle response was improved....on the first section of trail we ride it's very fast- up and down -rocky. With the rains there were some fresh rocks on the trail. Someone commented that the low boy header looked vulnerable to damage...well I tested that right off! About 5 mins into the ride I was cresting a little hill and setting up for the left I know is at the top. All good, carrying the front wheel as I crested and leaned in....rock in the trail...big rock...took the front wheel out. Just like being tripped. I high sided left to right HARD. Right into a patch of softball size broken rocks. :usa: Had to lay there a bit - wasn't sure I hadn't broken my hip! :usa: :D Vicodin is helping me write this so forgive me if I ramble! Back to the pipe, just a scratch on the header. No dents or dings - Stainless Steel is a bit tougher than Ti. :D

I continued on the ride, JUST FOR YOU GUYS! We climbed hills and blasted across open desert. On my CRF250F the Dr. D made a nice gain, not spectacular - just "good". I don't gush if it's not warranted...I'll gush about this pipe. It really helped the bottom, pulled hard in the middle and OH-MY-GOD top end rush! It was AMAZING. :) It HIT like the bike before I put the 5 oz. flywheel weight on it. It tractored around on some steep technical trails and just BLASTED in the open. I lugged it a few times just to see if the bottom really pulled better....it just kept chugging. I had a CR500 and that thing was a BRUTE, this bike with this pipe would have pulled it! I know why guys are winning desert races against KX500's on the 450F. I didn't get a chance to run the quiet insert, I'll do "part 2" when I get a chance to try it. I've thought about adding more flywheel but was afraid of making the bike sluggish...I'm not worried now. I need to tame this thing down a bit! :D On the top end - we where running down a section of flat dirt road and I held it wide open....THE FRONT END CAME UP AS THE BIKE REVED OUT! :D Just like a CR500 coming on the pipe! WOW. :lol:

Tough, cheap, QUIET and GREAT power. This pipe is a winner.

• BigLou

Posted April 05, 2004 - 01:19 AM

Cool! Thanks for the report Chris. :)

Like anyone cares, my new 450 is exactly 3.72 wks old and I still haven't gotten to ride her! Went to my favorite track/trails area for the break-in run yesterday (had to go to St. Louis Saturday to deliver the 01 to its new owner), and they were having a harescramble! :D That means they are using every bit of the land. Big track, trails, pit bike track, practice area, etc. Oh well. I get Good Friday off, and the forecast looks good, so...

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 05, 2004 - 03:34 PM

I had a pm requesting my jetting so I figured I'd post it here as well. :D

2500 feet 60 degs. I'm running stock jets and needle. Fuel screw - I went quarter turn out after I ran it for a bit. 2.5 turns out total. It seemed a bit lean and was quiting if I ran hard and then chopped the throttle and came to a stop. The quarter turn was enough to stop the "flame outs". :D I may play with it a bit more when I've got my A Game. I was not real aggressive after my crash. :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • revolucien

Posted April 09, 2004 - 05:38 AM

just curious if you were getting any popping/ backfire before you backed out the screw

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 09, 2004 - 07:29 AM

No popping...just a "burble". Could just be the difference in sound from stock. :)

• Indy_WR450

Posted April 11, 2004 - 05:52 AM

Burble is usually a sign of being a little on the rich side of good jetting.

• Chris_in_the_Mojave

Posted April 14, 2004 - 10:01 AM

There is another post asking for Dr. D info so I'm giving this a BUMP.

:)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.