Painting the Frame

9 replies to this topic

Posted April 27, 2002 - 07:41 AM

Has anyone painted their own frame? I painted my KX250 frame black with spraypaint and it came out looking rather good. With my YZ over next winter I want to sandblast the frame and have it painted, I want a really nice job,how much do you think it will run me and should I get it powdercoated or what?

• thumpsalad

Posted April 27, 2002 - 07:57 AM

I tried to paint mine, but decided that powder-coating was the best option. I went to Embee in Santa Ana, CA.

It was $150 for the frame and sub-frame on my YZ400 and they have about 150 colors to choose from. Team Yamaha takes their frames there, too! I pick mine up on Monday!

• Hakka

Posted April 27, 2002 - 08:50 AM

On my old XR I tried painting the frame myself, but the paint chipped away easily, I then got it powdercoated which looked great and was very tough. It cost me about $100 Aus, well worth it.

Posted April 27, 2002 - 01:29 PM

Does that price include sanding and prep?

• #1_Hit-man

Posted April 27, 2002 - 03:33 PM

Just had mine done for $130, thats glass beaded, degreased, powder coated and clear coated. Should hold up nice, it is a silver color with black veins all through it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpsalad

Posted April 27, 2002 - 06:54 PM

The place I took mine to, Embee, does everything to prep it. All I had to do was drop off the frame and sub-frame.

Posted April 28, 2002 - 06:46 AM

YOu think these paintjobs will hold up as good if not better than stock?

• thumpsalad

Posted April 28, 2002 - 06:50 AM

Powder coating is WAY stronger than paint. It will still chip, but you really have to hammer it compared to factory paint jobs.

• dhowell

Posted April 29, 2002 - 03:15 AM

Damn! Something else for me to spend money on. Can you guys post some pictures? Would love to see what you have done.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted April 29, 2002 - 11:46 AM

Hey thump did you have your pipe ceramic coated too? Embee did my pipe, it turned out bitchen. I can't believe how tough that stuff is. I figured it would chip in front where it takes roost, but there isnt a mark on it!

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.