Road behind 2-smoke for 4 hours this weekend

16 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted April 04, 2004 - 12:58 PM

Apparently the guy was trying out some "new" oil that someone told him to use. The unfortunate part is that he didnt take into account that people would be riding behind him. I was the middle rider and sometimes would have to wait for the trailer, I could wait 4-5 minutes and still know what direction he went based on the lingering smoke.

Next time I'll bring a respirator :)

Just had to vent, it didnt ruin the day. That issue on top of having to go 45 minutes out of the way cause he didnt get up on time kind of made a bad first impression.

• ddialogue

Posted April 04, 2004 - 01:13 PM

A couple of years ago I followed a buddy who was burning coolant due to a headgasket leak. Between that and the nasty smelling oil he was using I got really sick and nearly had to vomit on the trail. I was sick for several hours after that and had to have someone drive my truck home for me. Ever since then, I get queazy with even the slightest whif of 2-stroke exhaust. If there's one up ahead of me, I have to wait until the smoke has cleared or put him behind me. :)

• r_dawg1021

Posted April 04, 2004 - 02:25 PM

If there's one up ahead of me, I have to wait until the smoke has cleared or put him behind me. :)

That was the unfortunate part, he knew all the trails we were riding so I had to follow behind him. Hopefully he'll get the oil situation figured out before our next ride.

• YamahaSteve

Posted April 04, 2004 - 05:27 PM

When I was a kid, my buddy had one of those 2-smoke honda mopeds with the pedals and eveything. He used to pull me around behind him on my skateboard when we would go places. I can appreciate your illnesses with the 2 stroke smell. Once I rode behind that thing for like 30 minutes and threw up all over the sidewalk. I still have a hard time with the smell even today. I would still buy and ride a 2-smoke though if I decided hat I needed one... anyway... ride on!!

• 1rkcooper

Posted April 04, 2004 - 05:46 PM

Tell him to use some Motul. Use the good stuff and there is very little to no smoke. Use cheap oil and you will not only smoke but you will also lose power. Tell your buddy to run out his old fuel and then fill with the good stuff, he should notice an increase in power.

• r_dawg1021

Posted April 04, 2004 - 06:58 PM

Tell him to use some Motul. Use the good stuff and there is very little to no smoke. Use cheap oil and you will not only smoke but you will also lose power. Tell your buddy to run out his old fuel and then fill with the good stuff, he should notice an increase in power.

Thanks for the advice Cooper, I appreciate it and I am sure the Ozone layer does as well. I'll pass the info on, he seemed to be pretty experience but I guess he is just misinformed in the oil department. He said he usually has some oil where he just poors in the entire contents into his tank or can. This stuff he had to mix 20:1 or something and I think he messed up the ratio. I know I wasnt impressed going from the WR to his bike when we swapt out. Thanks again.

• icbush

Posted April 04, 2004 - 07:11 PM

Whats up you rode behind a 2 smoke I know my 450 can pass a 2 stroke i did it all day today quit complaining and start riding. Four strokes Truck and Two smokes suck. :)

• JVP

Posted April 04, 2004 - 08:33 PM

I don't know :) I like the smell of 2-strokes in the morning. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Greg_C

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:06 AM

I get queazy with even the slightest whif of 2-stroke exhaust. :)

Try sitting on the line at Hair Scramble with 4 rows of 2-Smokes in front of you all worming up there bikes at once! sometimes I feel like if the smoke doesn’t kill me the noise will.

• ogrebelle

Posted April 05, 2004 - 07:14 AM

I'm a former 2-stroker and I don't mind telling you that I still get all warm and fuzzy feeling at the smell of a well-jetted bike running Maxima Super-M at 32:1. :) That stuff is like pure pheremones to me. Call me wierd.
Doug

• mrmoto

Posted April 05, 2004 - 07:18 AM

Doug - my secret race strategy is to run my two stroke with the most foul smelling Klotz. The nasty smell works as well as dropping an oil slick.
-Eric

• Matt96xr6

Posted April 05, 2004 - 07:29 AM

You know it is not a 2 stroke thing.

I have been behind plenty of YZFs and CRFs that have worn rings and you can just smell the oil buring! Also anyone running a racegas like the Ultimate 4, you will be high within a few yards off the fumes!

Granted the 4 strokes dont get the mosquito fog clouds, but they still give off vapor and fumes out the exhaust that not everyone likes! Tell your friend to change his jetting accordingly for the ratio of mix he is using!

• ddialogue

Posted April 05, 2004 - 08:54 AM

Doug - my secret race strategy is to run my two stroke with the most foul smelling Klotz. The nasty smell works as well as dropping an oil slick.
-Eric

I thought all KTM's smelled that way?! :)

• ogrebelle

Posted April 05, 2004 - 10:19 AM

-Eric

Eric,
That's a very poor race strategy...all that will accomplish is making everyone see that they finish in front of you :). With this strategy you're sure to place last.
Doug

• 1rkcooper

Posted April 05, 2004 - 06:31 PM

r_dawg

If he was running 20:1 it is no wonder you were in smoke. I used to and my son still runs the CR at 50:1 with the best gas and good oil. Godd oil is not cheap but is well worth the price.

• ogrebelle

Posted April 07, 2004 - 05:44 AM

I used to have friends that ran Golden Spectro at 100:1 religiously. I don't know what's in that stuff but it never gave them any problems. It must be pure magic. 100:1 scares the bejeebers out of me though.
Doug

• ddialogue

Posted April 07, 2004 - 06:09 AM

Doug,

We ran 80:1 and 100:1 Amsoil in our two-strokes for over a decade without any problems. :D

Gosh, I kinda miss having to mix the oil and gas...uh, nevermind. :)

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.